Is there a blue book of sort for pricing WWII pieces

So I may be interested in acquiring another gunto or two to match up with a some Arisaka's I have. I was curious if there was a reference for pricing somewhere online similar to the blue book of gun values.

I was interested in acquiring either a shin gunto and NCO shin gunto together or possibly just obtaining a single gendaito in shin gunto mounts.

I would prefer in wartime/original polish even if it has some spotting not as big deal but would prefer not to see active rust, and I would very much enjoy it with a hamon (just because I like the look) even if its on a machined blade. 

If I were looking at machined blades I'm not too interested in sword signatures and I would like just a simple factory stamp and matching numbers if applies. In gendaito I would just like to see no Cracks or blisters and I'm not too picky about smith's if they are at least referenced in some literature.

Very important that the Saya is not refinished or painted a different color.

I'm looking around 1,500$ but this is a bit flexible depending on quality of blades. 

This is not a WTB post I'm just wanting to get some general ideas of what this/these could potentially cost me.

And I just wanted to stress that I'm interested in original condition if the scale were from 1-10 I would be even ok with some 6's if they are not sharpened, polished, etc..*(My Arisaka's are not refinished and I really like the idea of them matching in terms of finish rate)

Hopefully I didn't scare anybody off, I've read Fuller's and one other book but I'm no expert especially when it comes to pricing, thanks in advance for any help.

The short answer is - No there is no "bluebook" sort of pricing list for WWII gunto. And you're asking at a weird time. The COVID thing has almost completely shut down the market. Some guys are still buying, but even when they do, the swords are either held up in shipping for extended periods or refused by air-carriers and returned.

Having said that, officer gunto tend to run $900-1,400 in good condition (less if messed up); and NCO Type95s run $700-1,400 for the standard issue (much more for copper-handle and very late war). So, under usual circumstances you wouldn't be able to get both for $1,500. More like $2,000 for both, for average condition.

• Like 4

Thanks for the rapid responses.

Agreed Shamsy, I don't mind paying for something I want. I just want to make sure I'm not paying 40,000 for a 63' Fiat 500 when I can get a 63' Corvette for the same price.

Thank you as well Bruce, that is more or less what I was looking for. Would you say there is a big jump in price if the blade is a gendaito? Maybe of a lesser known or student Smith. Would 1,500$ for a gendaito in Shin gunto mounts be a possible find or is there more chances of winning a jackpot. I haven't searched very hard but all the gendaito in Shin gunto mounts I've seen lately are +4,000$ and maybe they're very popular Smith's but sincerely I'm not too interested in that.

I expect you should be able to find a gunto with an older, gendai blade in it for that price. The expensive ones you are seeing are likely from someone famous, or the owner has paid over $2,000 for a polish.

It's not something I look for, so somebody who collects nihonto will have to help you with where and how to find one like that, but it is definitely possible.

The only one I have is in kai-gunto (navy) fittings, so it cost me $2,400. Kaigunto sell for more than army gunto; plus this had sharkskin saya and a family mon. So I paid extra. The blade is mumei and likely from the Muromachi (late Koto) period. Not much to look at, but like you, I just love holding a sword that was being made when Columbus was sailing the ocean blue! Pretty amazing.

• Like 3

As said before it depends on condition, quality and rank of the smith. Sometimes you will find a bargin when the moon stands high and the wind came from the east and all treasure hunters are drunken or sleep. But belive me - i often came to late. This is what it makes fun. Not to go in a Store and buy something. But you have the perfect start for finding the pieces you want. You live in the US. The land where milk and honey flows with that mass on pieces. I live in the Nihonto desert here in germany. Allways dry ground and the collectors fight over the remains  :laughing:

• Like 5

Thanks to all for the useful information. I guess I will just wait around for possibly somebody to post something of interest in the WTS forum rather than placing my own WTB.

Any trustworthy sites in the states I should look at?

I don't really like auction houses as I've had nothing but problems with RIA having completely false descriptions and they're supposedly regarded as the best auction house for firearms and militaria.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..