New "holy cow" tsuba

raynor

Fairly large and heavy iron tsuba at about 8cm (slightly over 3inches) horizontal and vertical, mumei and unknown school to my fresh eyes, shakudo cows and likely gold, brass or so flowers and leaf inlays.

Does anyone have any idea or opinion on the school, ballpark age or other information of this? I know I like it, but always eager to hear other actually educated perspectives.

I take it the tsuba is older then the fairly recent meat eating practice in Japan, (since Meiji restoration or slightly prior I think) before European influences the cow was one of the most revered animals to the Japanese. 

Unfortunately these two first photos in bleak indoor light is the best I can do at the moment, until the pandemic passes this tsuba is out of the country and my reach.

uHMydcL.jpg

8cswhs8.jpg

vvFBxnm.jpgFIrDbua.jpg

QsAeQqZ.jpgeGUgolb.jpg

5D9Yk8j.jpg5mp1jJW.jpg

csJmWW0.jpg

• Like 4

Those two holes caught my eyes to, overall the inlays seems to be in good condition besides those two holes, they appear placed more directly on the branch then the flowers, maybe two little metal birds escaped.

Would this piece be worth sending to Shinsa once the world goes back to normal? Shoami makes a lot of sense but since that is a big bucket it would be helpful if they could nail down things like age etc more direct.

Hi Omar,

probably Aizu-Shōami, mid-late Edo period, and probably water buffalos rather then cows.

About sending your tsuba to shinsa, consider that it's unlikely that the result will tell you explicitely an age attribution.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..