Shinto Wakizashi Value

Hi there,

Few years back I have bought this bargain hunt but only now starting to get it 'fixed' and put it nicely together...it needs some work, especially needs to have proper habaki done (the one attached is temporaty and doesn't fit well) and also seppa's and general TLC. 

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the value of this wakizashi? i am just curious so appreciate if anyone could help.

thanks,

Lukas

post-3670-0-76240200-1589099690_thumb.jpeg

post-3670-0-42534100-1589099701_thumb.jpeg

post-3670-0-61294300-1589099719_thumb.jpeg

post-3670-0-83537100-1589099735_thumb.jpeg

post-3670-0-54117700-1589099752_thumb.jpeg

post-3670-0-09502500-1589099766_thumb.jpeg

post-3670-0-82884200-1589099789_thumb.jpeg

post-3670-0-15480800-1589099807_thumb.jpeg

This was a bit of a surprise to me. The Handachi style mounts look recent and the Ito evidently bust and then got badly re-wrapped, but the blade looks pretty decent "judging from the photo's"...note disclaimer! There are many things that only show in the hand. 

I doubt anyone will state a cash value for reasons given above, and it's not forum policy to value stuff..... And I would say that it is worth spending money on to sort the problems.

thanks Dave. The project hasn't been touched yet, wrapping etc is as it was and abviously the mountd are not best - it is just loosely put together for storage purposes, pretty much only interested in blade side of that all rather than anything else,which most likely will be replaced.

Lukas

Likas,

value is what the actual market situation represents, so if you compare your blade to others that are offered you might get an idea. However, there will be a difference in value between your blade in the present condition without SEPPA (no plural in Japanese nouns!) and a nicely fitting HABAKI, and a complete sword in KOSHIRAE with competently executed TSUKA-ITO. 

You will have to evaluate if you want to keep the sword (and not look too much on restoration costs) or if you want to get your investments back in case of a sale (which will probably be difficult). 

I can't be sure if I'm seeing hamon or hadori, Lukas, but it looks Mino. Blade seems to be in decent shape.

On valuation, people buy a "package," not just a bare blade. If it was either in a well-fitted shirasaya, or in presentable koshirae, I'd agree with Robert on the mid to high end of the $400-$1000 range. As it sits, I'd value it towards the lower end of that range.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..