info on Niwa Kanenobu?

Hello

I am a bit struggling to have more details on this smith.

The NTHK NPO identified him as Tamba Kanematsu but I could not find much other example on internet.

He was born 1874 / died 1941 & was also named Niwa Kanenobu and was in charge of the Nihon Token Tanren Jo in the Kasuga shrine (according to Modern Japanese Swords and Swordsmiths: From 1868 to the Present).

His son was a good smith (also named Niwa Kanenobu).

Do you know where I could find more info on him? sounds like he was an important smith so a bit odd not to find much :(

Trying to document a bit my collection :)

Thx for your help

Eric

post-4742-0-69331600-1589079410_thumb.jpg

post-4742-0-79454800-1589079419_thumb.jpg

post-4742-0-10926400-1589079431_thumb.jpg

thx Ken

I found him on Markus book p150 under Kanenobu (Niwa Kanematsu) but there is not much detail just name / dates :(

I checked as well nihontoclub (he is listed there as Kanematsu & Kanenobu so KAN1388, KAN1815 & KAN1826) but not much detail unfortunately. His teacher was Kaneyoshi (KAN3067) :(

a bit of a mystery indeed!

Hi Eric.  The name is Kanenobu and he is listed in Hawley's.  The Kanematsu translation appears to be in error.  The papers also list him as in Taisho, and the maker in Hawley is listed as 1926, around the transition of Taisho to Showa.  I think that the papers state that he was in the Tanba school or Den, not matsu.  

his real name was Kanematsu but he signed under Kanenobu. his son signed as well under Kanenobu and was a good smith so this add to the confusion.

what is odd is that he seemed to be as important as Watanabe Kanetsuna in the Seki world but it is very hard to find anything on him. eric

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..