Short gunto

I like the blade design, probably only on a whim because it is different. The rest is so much meh. Personally, if I owned it, I'd remove all the koshirae and have a new one made to suit the blade. Patchwork pieces are pretty gaudy and unappealing to me. To me, I emphasise. We all have different tastes and we should respect that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IJASWORDS said:

My issue is that it is being sold on a Japanese web sales site, and being sold as genuine, and I don't "respect" that.  

I missed that point.  A shame.  Seems stupid, too.  Japanese reading Japanese inscriptions on the nakago would see the 1985 date.  I guess they're counting on non-Japanese buyers to get sucked in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vajo said:

I would not say it is dishonest because it is sold on a Japanese website and not on an international plattform. 

I don't see the logic, it is dishonest if it was being sold on the moon. A fake bar of gold is fake no matter where it is sold. 

• Like 2

John as i wrote the sword is in Japan and has no shinsa. If it would be a historical important gift sword it would had hozon or something like that. 

It is what it is. A nice looking chokuto styled wakizashi with an nice inscription.

Sorry John when i flummoxed you (i learnt the word new, haha). No i don't look on this as a ww2 weapon what it is not. But it looks nice in that mountings. Its a modern koshirae for a new sword. Btw the first shinsakuto in the style of a chukoto what i have seen.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have acquired what I think is my holy grail. From the Plimpton collection, there was a short gunto Koshiere that I purchased. It is high quality as you can see, a metal scabbard and darkened fittings, as well as mon not only on the Menuki but on the Kabuto gane as well. Working with @mdiddy (Matt Jarrel of Sohei Swords) I was able to find a blade that fit into the Koshiere. The blade is signed Kanefusa and is dated to the Muromachi period (according to the seller, I don't know any better). I am more than excited to share this with everyone! Special thanks to Matt for his help and all the time he took reviewing blades for me to make this all come together. 

8.thumb.JPG.e67984ad0472a947760ca231d4e3e9bf.JPG1.thumb.JPG.d8e47d3171ee4352694761a883dcb884.JPG7.thumb.JPG.5dad7452a8a3fbe7fbc502de9c69ee10.JPG5.thumb.JPG.4f3c08191eca646f23535ec06e5b0ebd.JPG4.thumb.JPG.acc89001626e2185697684f480f979d3.JPG3.thumb.JPG.fae0e0a0e9469b6ddf711f8e2fe5eff7.JPG2.thumb.JPG.506eb924bdba5c1ab1f1488475175f27.JPGDSC_4921.thumb.JPG.2fea0257bc2a788a71018b1d934f5f19.JPG

6.JPG

• Like 4

I really enjoyed helping Matt with this piece (thank you Matt for the shout out!). It is a fantastic example of a short gunto, from the Plimpton collection, with interesting provenance that Matt has pointed out. I think Maj. Kowada would have appreciated the Kanefusa in those mounts. A very fine example, cheers!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..