Authentic samurai abumi stirrup?

barnejp

Hello Greg,

It does indeed appear to be a genuine abumi.  If its very heavy, or a magnet sticks to it, its iron.  If fairly light it could be lacquered wood.  Either way, if you own this get yourself some paint stripper and take that (shudder) gold paint off.  If its an iron abumi it could have lovely silver/gold inlays on it.  Also, the front edge (or back?) might have a signature.  Artisans from Kaga often signed their stirrups.  Just google abumi Japan and there you are...

BaZZa.

OH YOU HAVE TWO!!!  Wonderful.  Already on the front is an outline of a fan, suggesting there may be nice things hiding under the paint - at least, I hope its paint and not a shade of rust!!!

I also meant to comment that where a rider's feet go, that space would most likely have been filled with sideways wooden slats lacquered red. At least that was what I saw in a pair sometime.

Here's looking forward to more revelations???

BaZZa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..