an apology...of sorts

Gentlemen,

...it would seem that I owe a lot of people an apology. Apparently my rather direct and robust comments have offended certain sensibilities. It has rarely been my intention to be deliberately rude or offensive to anyone. Of course there have been exceptions when I felt justified and I will make no apology for those occasions where my opposites in any discussions or debates have given as good as they got. To those who, while not actually directly involved in any of those "debates" and who felt my writing to be harsh I offer my honest apology.

A couple of topics that I have been very active in recently have convinced me to withdraw from making any further comment on technical matters regarding Japanese metalwork on this forum. After nearly 30 years of single-minded study and attempting to master my tradition I find it utterly soul destroying to have to expend great deals of time and energy try to "convince" people with no real knowledge of metalwork of the integrity of my opinion or explanations.

I hope this doesn't sound petulant but to be honest this sort of effort is having a negative effect on my own work and I need to put that first.

I am still more than happy to help anyone with genuine questions and advice in whatever way I can but would ask that they contact me via my own forum, either publicly or via pm. There I needn't enter into pedantic debates and can concentrate on factual matters.

I'd also like to make it clear that this decision of mine has not been prompted by the management in any way at all. I've always enjoyed the support and appreciation of our moderators. I'll be in Japan for the DTI and will no doubt meet some of you in the flesh...at last. :oops: You've have an opportunity to either change my mind or punish me, whichever your inclination, by plying me with vast quantities of sake.

I'll still be around but didn't want anyone to think me any more rude by ignoring any technical questions that may have been directed to me.

Thank you for your patience and for taking the time to read yet more of my ramblings.

Best regards to all,

Ford

Ford,

All I can say is that I am really sorry to see you withdraw from offering advice like this, but I do understand why, from our (almost daily) phone conversations...for which which I am sure your wife will eventually take out a hit on me for ;)

The stresses involved are well known by many who attempt anything of this scale online, and especially any regular internet forum participants. Glad to hear you will still be "lurking" and I am sure we will all harass you endlessly on your forum.

Wishing you all the very best, and hopefully the situation improves in the future to the point that we can lean on you for your knowledge here again. The door is always open, and your title of "heretic" awaits you anytime you wish to avail yourself of it. Will see you in Japan over (many) flasks of sake :)

Regards,

Brian

Hi Ford, Although we all want harmonious internection (my word) sometimes 'shoot from the hip' pedantry is needed to quash erroneous thinking before it metastasises into something worse, having skin of an elephant it doesn't bother me to be shot down by logical educated thought. That is what learning discourse is all about. Your posts were enlightening as to metal craft (metal artistry), damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Your forum has much to learn from and I lurk there, I haven't much to contribute, alas. As one of the 'philistines' I hope you still give us a clout in the ear hole now and again. John

No need to apologise for stating facts in the face of questions versus "opinions" based on theories and thoughts. I get the same stuff from patients who have decided a week of reading websites trumps 35 years of learning and practice. So hold back if you must and I can empathize with the tiredness that comes from stating the same thing every second week to the next wave of newbies. Lurk in case you see something you can't ignore

Your knowledge will be missed and as I always say if you don't like an answer to a question make up your own answer and keep quiet, same as heat and kitchens.

Enjoy the Sake or Sapporo if you want to be able to talk for at least a couple of hours!

Ford -

Please hang in there with us. Having been a professor / researcher

for my entire professional life, I can say with confidence that you

can't teach or reason with those who don't want to learn. We appreciate

and respect your experience and insights. If I've offended anyone with

this post, I do not apologize. I quit apologizing for logic, experience and

reason a long time ago.

Rich S

Hi Ford:

There are some on this newsgroup who posts I look forward to because I can learn from them. You are certainly one of those. I will miss your insight and shared knowledge. I appreciate both your metal work and you insights. I know that work comes first. There is no need to answer many posts. Lurk and them perhaps PM some who would appreciate what you have to write.

I will miss your contributions and will have to spend more time looking at your metal work newsgroup.

Ford,

Stop acting like a kid, come back onto the forum !!

How the fu%$#7 can you go to lurking mode just when I posted my latest e-bay score of crane tsuba with OUTSTANDING whirling mokume/itame/ masame , hell, if you magnify " that one " enough, you may even see hamon !!! I need you to tell me how it's done !!

milt

What your leaving.... :shock:

I`m with Bungo and everyone else on this one .

Pick you rattle up off the floor Ford ,stop throwing your toys out of the pram and get back into the game. :rant:

I havn`t finished with you yet either ,i have so much more to offer. :badgrin:

regards and respect

Shan.

I am a teacher myself and the hardest thing to do is tell someone who thinks they are right they are in fact wrong. People sometimes start to question your ability, intentions and can get very difficult etc. I understand how Ford feels however I hope he comes back especially after I have a quiet word him at the DTI!!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Ford,

I can only second the above thoughts.

I have also been very much enjoying your profound contributions and will surely miss them...

I understand your frustration especially when there is so much time involved in trying to share your knowledge.

But I think we should not take things too seriously.

You *may* have offended some people, but you have educated all the others at the same time....

Fortunately there is PMing :D

Best,

Ford,

I'm one of those dreaded newbies. But please hear this little newby out!

I started out a good 1,5 year ago, with the intent of buying a (now) obvious Chinese fake. Being curious, I stumbled upon this forum.

I posted some pics and basically was burnt to the ground for them :doubt: But I learnt from some of the replies (especially the reply of Jean springs to mind - that was the reply that won me over), and I decided to take it a lot more serious than what I was planning to.

Now sometimes I have an idea about something. When I see and read the replies, from people who I think to be far more skilled at it than I am, I try and hold that newgained info up against my idea. Sometimes the info is brought in a gentle, subtle way, sometimes it's somewhat less discrete. But I still welcome all the info I get. I realize that a lot of that info is rechewed over and over again, but we all have to start out somewhere. So please don't stop lingering here, because there are a lot of us who do appreciate it !!!

Ford, by order of the Divine Emperor Go-Daigo you are NOT allowed to commit seppuku on this forum.

You are ordered to stay and enlighten us about Japanese metalworking skills EVERY day.

I personally loved your posts!

To Hachiman with the people nor getting your messages or blatantly ignoring them!

Kusunoki Masahige

H.J.Vrielink (The Netherlands)

Hmmm....I think you chaps are very unfair being so nice to me...how the hell am I supposed to become a hermit now?

I'm a bit embarrassed at this show of solidarity and understanding...I almost expect you all to start singing this :oops:

seriously, Thank you all...I actually feel quite revitalised....but still need to stay in my cave for the next week ( delicate work in hand), then there's 18 days of hell in the East.... I'll recompose myself, and then in the words of Arnie; " I'll be Bach" :glee:

I didn't mean to appear churlish and get all secretive, I just need to be a bit more selective...thanks again for all your understanding. Now where's that sake someone mentioned?

regards,

Ford

post-229-14196752306193_thumb.jpg

" how the hell am I supposed to become a hermit now? "

Brian,

go change that to the " drinking Prince ".

Ford,

no sake but plenty of beer at the crane season opened thread where TWO interesting tsuba await your comment.

Main question is ... is it a deliberate effort , can the tsuba maker actually control the grains to depict a design...or it's all accidental ( like becoming a father :rotfl: :rotfl: ) ??

milt

Ford,

Very glad to hear it. :clap: I would ask everyone to take it easy on our resident "helps-people" (I didn't want to say experts or teachers etc)

This includes all of them, from Ford to Koichi to Guido to.. (I am missing a bunch, but you all know who you are)

As you can see, they have a lot emotionally vested in assisting as often as they do, and it does reach breaking point sometimes. Just think of this before bombarding them with questions or expecting help or whatever. Debates can be had, but in a polite manner, and above all else, try and listen to what they are saying, even if you have other views.

Let's respect everyone who gives advice, and also give them their space when they need it.

We'll make sure that they all come back from the DTI refreshed and ready to assist within their limits. Sanity above all else :)

Brian

Ford,

Now that everything is settled, I shall open tonight a bottle to celebrate (not some of these S.A. cheap root beer but a grand cru - Chateau Gruaud Larose 1990 - Bordeaux - Saint Julien) that we can share if you can be in Paris at 20h00 CET :badgrin:

Nevertheless, if you come to Paris PM me and you can have a free meal (and drink - I have about 400 bottles of wine in the Cellar) :beer: :beer: :)

Hi,

Ford,

Now that everything is settled, I shall open tonight a bottle to celebrate (not some of these S.A. cheap root beer but a grand cru - Chateau Gruaud Larose 1990 - Bordeaux - Saint Julien) that we can share if you can be in Paris at 20h00 CET :badgrin:

Nevertheless, if you come to Paris PM me and you can have a free meal (and drink - I have about 400 bottles of wine in the Cellar) :beer: :beer: :)

You are a little bit stingy on this one Jean, Château Gruaud larose is "only" a second grand cru :rotfl:

My skin.... After i've taken your scalp :rotfl: :glee: :rotfl:

Ford,

Ah, Bordeaux. I was visiting just three weeks ago. Sunshine, vinyards, hilltop villages, old churches and castles. Heaven. So, if 400 of us come to visit we can empty your cellar in one night, Jean? :badgrin:

Very glad Ford has elected to refresh and revitalize. Excellent! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thanks:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..