Buying blades on the auction sites

jeffbann01

I have always looked at but not ever had the nerve to "pull the trigger" on Japanese blades on auction sites.  I have little to no experience with them but as a general knife collector I can't help but to marvel and want one.

My interest is mostly in tanto type blades.  Most of my knives that I keep are traditional fighting/military knives that have historic significance (of type) and tanto blades fall into this category.

One question I have is about some of the repetitive sellers on the auction websites.  Is there any reference (lists) to "recommended sellers"?

A specific question I have is about the papers that are often shown with them.  I've noticed over the years that sellers will only send a photocopy of the original papers.  Is this a requirement with Japanese law,  or is there some other reason?

Thanks,  Jeff

Why don’t you buy from the dealers of this site? Ray, Ed or Gray? Plus you can often find good deals in the sale section. At least, they can be trusted.. there are some good and honest dealers on EBay, but you have to know what you buy because lots of Gimei (not necessarily bad blades though) can be found on auction sites.

As for the papers you mention, those are Torokusho. These are just registration papers required by Japanese laws. They do not mean the blade is shoshin, just that it was registered with the authorities. They send copies because when a blade is de registered, the paper goes back to the authorities. Of a dealer sends you the original, the blade was certainly smuggled out of Japan.

• Like 4

Thank you.  Starting from the question about the papers,  I thought that it must be something along those lines.

Of course I will be watching the offerings that come up here.  I would prefer to buy from someone who is vetted by a site such as this.

Thank you for the reply,  I will give you plenty of opportunities as questions I have plenty of.

Jeff

You’re welcome Jeff. To be honest, books would be a good start. We all do the mistake of buying before knowing. Must have happened to almost all of us!:)

• Like 2

I fully recommend being patient and watching or browse the sales section on this very forum, I've yet, as my still limited knowledge has grown, seen any better deals online. Ever.

My first real nihonto I picked up here on the forum- it got me a hefty shinshinto katana in perfect polish, original habaki and saya with a fairly new shirasaya and tsunagi for a price I still can't believe. Granted the blade was unpapered at the time but easily passed Shinsa, as promised by the specs and seller.

Any purchase here wont steer you wrong unless there is a string of warnings by members following the ad but that doesnt happen here, people look out for eachother.

But first, as already stated, figure out what you want, grab a couple good books and study. Figuring out what you want and getting a taste for the depth of the field makes it more fun.

• Like 6

I would buy from here, rather than on an auction site. There are some real issues that can effect Japanese blades that you will not see in a photo, and you could end up with what is basically scrap metal.  Follow the link for a quick informative precis of what I am writing about...

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/flaws.html

Thanks all for the responses and good advice.  I'm all for taking it.  I will be lurking and asking and when I dig it out and photograph it I have one oddball to show and ask for opinions.  A knife a friend found in his grandparents house attic some years back.

Again,  thanks for the welcoming replies to a first thread.

Jeff

• Like 3

Jeff, think of NMB as an encyclopedia, with people's opinions. When you run into something you're curious about, use the Search function to see what members have expounded on.

Unlike an encyclopedia, though, if you don't find what you're looking for, feel free to ask questions.

• Like 2

I would buy from here, rather than on an auction site. There are some real issues that can effect Japanese blades that you will not see in a photo, and you could end up with what is basically scrap metal.  Follow the link for a quick informative precis of what I am writing about...

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/flaws.html

I could not agree more. Kojima san is very honest in his descriptions. I have bought quite a few swords from his shop, and I was always extremely satisfied. As long as you take into account that shinsa's opinion might differ from his attribution, you will be OK. You don't risk buying swords with hidden flaws, you always know what you are buying. Kojima san has a peculiar style of writing. He appreciates functional quality and it seems that he dislikes swords made only to be visually attractive.

Kojima san (I should rather say Kojima sensei) used to be NBTHK inspector for the Saitama province. He is an excellent sword smith (Taikei Naotane lineage) whose swords are functional and never contrived. He has extensive knowledge of nihonto and intimate knowledge of steel and its quality. He is also director at the Musashino Sword Club, where regular kantei sessions with some great swords are being held. When I was there, I have seen (among others) two Hosho tanto a ko-Bizen and a Soden Bizen, all of them masterworks.  

Attached are photographs that show steel of a ken that and a tachi by Kojima (Naohiro 4th) that I own. 

Forgive me this ad, but I consider Kojima my mentor, and he is a teacher whom I greatly respect for both his knowledge, his passion to teach and his honesty. To avoid any suspicion, neither of the swords on the pictures below is for sale.

Ken:

post-221-0-30647400-1588753666_thumb.jpgpost-221-0-23863300-1588753689_thumb.jpgpost-221-0-18238200-1588753757_thumb.jpg

Tachi:

post-221-0-91531000-1588753908_thumb.jpgpost-221-0-82139300-1588753984_thumb.jpgpost-221-0-70658800-1588754035_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..