The cup is always full

A recent thread in which someone asked for kanji in a certain style, to be used next to a displayed sword, reminded me of a kakejiku (hanging scroll) that I commissioned about ten years ago.

The original calligraphy is by Kanō Gyokuen 狩野玉燕 (1683-1743), and shown in the 2002 NBTHK-EB exhibition catalog "Selected Fine Japanese Swords". However, the artist who wrote it for me used a slightly different format and script.

The poem says 檢書焼燭短看劔引杯長 – I recently added a transliteration into modern Japanese thereof to my signature on the NMB. In any case, a (non-literal) translation would be

Book learning only burns down candles, but studying swords is like a full cup of saké.

Besides my love for both nihontō and saké, those are my sentiments exactly: yes, it’s important to learn the basics and technical terms by reading as much on the subject as possible, but that’s never a substitute for looking at swords close up.

post-12-0-94273100-1588131287_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

"Besides my love for both nihontō and saké, those are my sentiments exactly: yes, it’s important to learn the basics and technical terms by reading as much on the subject as possible, but that’s never a substitute for looking at swords close up."

Just picked up on this.

So applicable to many other endeavours

Thank you Guido

Besides my love for both nihontō and saké, those are my sentiments exactly: yes, it’s important to learn the basics and technical terms by reading as much on the subject as possible, but that’s never a substitute for looking at swords close up.

In hindsight it seems nearly impossible to begin understanding the writings of someone like an Albert Yamanaka without having actual 'text book' examples to study in hand. 

I gotta chime in on the importance of actually looking at swords.  I'm lucky enough to live close enough to Chicago to hit that show every year.  I learn more there in 3 days than the rest of the year reading books.  Books are great, but you have to see the real thing to see what the books are talking about.  

As a sake thought:  When I was in the Navy in the 70's there was a bar in San Fransisco called Madam Butterflies.  Some friends and I used to go there to shoot pool and drink Sapporo beer and warm sake.  Many good memories from that place.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..