Asking for pictures for a tsuba book

SalaMarcos

Dear fellows,

Since one year I'm rewriting my PhD about tsuba to publish a book. In my doctoral thesis I couls use many images because was for an academical propouse, but now for a publish book I found a lack of images free of use.

Because I know that many of you have a huge collection, I wanna ask you if you like to allow me use some of your tsuba pics to ilustrate my book. The book will be in Spanish, but of course I will give you a copy of the work, and if you with I can also quote/reference you on the book or put anonimous, as you wish.

For this time I need some pics of:

- Kagamishi /Kokyôshi tsuba.

- Tachikanagushi tsuba

- Bizen Shôami

- Yamakichibei / Yamasaka Kichibei

- Hôan

- Hayashi

- Kamiyoshi

- Nishigaki

Thanks in advance!

Best regards from Spain,

Marcos.

I am not sure if this helps at all.

A few years back when researching all things Nihonto just for fun I stumbled on the links to old books on tsuba - which were then available for free download on the internet having been scanned by libraries. The books I found are well out of print so images they contain may be free of copyright. (I have not checked the state of the law in this regard however  but I downloaded them from a legitimate web site I am sure, so they should be)

When I was researching I probably used search terms like "tsuba pdf" and "nihonto pdf' and "free download"  I recall getting a surprising amount of freely available material - some of it old scanned material as I have said above. Of course you may have already done this as part of your own inquiries but others may enjoy the links so I have taken the liberty to provide it.

The only link I presently find in my system  is this one -

http://nihonto.com.ua/books/16.pdf  (I believe the source of this was the Boston Museum)

Other old scanned books (mostly from the early 20th century or older) originally from a wide variety of museums I have downloaded include the following listed below. I vaguely recall that some years ago Google had a project to scan such old books and make them freely available online, and I have a feeling that my downloads had some association with that project though I can recall little more. ( But here is an article about it:  https://www.edsurge.com/news/2017-08-10-what-happened-to-google-s-effort-to-scan-millions-of-university-library-books  )

I had a quick look online just now but could not quickly see the download link(s) I used when I downloaded them but if interested perhaps see if you can private message me through this site and I can email them to you though there are about 250 meg of pdfs so it will not necessarily be easy - some email systems still limit attachment sizes I think. I suspect that you will be able to find the D/L links yourself by searching on the names provided below  in any event as it has only been a couple of years that I have downloaded them myself so hopefully they will still be available . Some are in Japanese, one in German - but all have photos or line drawings (tracings) of tsuba and in many cases have a large number of them. All books are in pdf form

:

"  Choshu Tsuba by Ogura Soemon" 

"  Akasaka tsubako-roku by Amiya (Soemon)"

"  Cooper Union Museum - The Japanese sword and its fittings"

" Higo Kinkoroku by Nagaya"

"The Japanese Sword and its Decoration"

" Japanese Sword Mounts in the Collection of Field Museum"

" Japanissche Stcihblatter und Schwertzieraten Sammelung Georg Oeder Dusseldorf" 

" Nihon Tsuba toko roku by Ogura Soemon"

" Senso to Tsuba by Tsuneki Nagaoka"

" Tagane no Hana, Nara Toshihisa"

"Toban Shokan Kotetsu by Matsumiya Kanzan"

" tsuba-and-Japanese-sword-fittings"

• Like 1

I suggest that you use dropbox a free app. Put them in a folder and then share the link. Anyone with the link can access the folder and open or download the files.

Good idea. I had given up on cloud storage a few years ago after finding I did not really need it and forgotten about Dropbox - having  uninstalled the app. But on checking I still have an account intact, so I reactivated it. As I have no need for Dropbox long term, I also have no plans to pay for a subscription as now seems to be required at least for some classes of membership, and I am not sure if my account version is still wholly free (as it was originally) or just a part of their current 2 week "try it for free" offer. If it's the latter case the files will not be able to be made available for long obviously. So there could be a short window. On my quick scan of Dropbox it requires me to authorize downloads individually to nominated persons and their email address is required for this (I think the system sends them an email with the d/l link??)

So SalaMarcos its there if you want it....let me know. These resources are incidentally ones i have never seen before (not that I have much experience) and should be of interest to an academic, writer  or general researcher on this topic.

The screen grab below gives an idea of the range of materials:

2LGAYTV.jpg

• Like 1

Peter? (Best to add your name to your signature, to sign all your posts)
If you don't mind sharing them at all, then I think the easiest way would be to email me the dropbox link, I'll download them and host them here and post the links for anyone who wishes to view them.
My email is found on the from page: http://www.militaria.co.za/

Brian

Hi Brian

In principle I am happy for members here  more generally to have the files. If they are distributed to members in this manner though, it may just be worthwhile making sure there is no legal impediment. My guess is that these should be copyright free due to their age and nature but if there is someone you can ask to be sure it would make me more comfortable. (e.g. is there any impediment to their private use for research etc.) In the meantime however I will send you the link pending that.

cheers Peter

EDIT: Message sent to your email address. 

Brian I suggest that they go into a folder so that the group remains a group. As other books on tsuba are found they could join the group. It would be nice to be able to download the folder rather than individual books. That is why I recommended dropbox.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..