The tassel test

After a few years of collecting I have a few tassels now, and despite all the threads I still have issues spotting real vs fake sometimes. I think the best way forward for me is to post my tassels with what I think is real vs fake and someone who knows better than I check my answers.

post-3879-0-99261300-1587676755_thumb.jpeg

1) Fake, paperish stuff, mis coloured?

post-3879-0-81068200-1587676862_thumb.jpeg

2) Fake, mis coloured?

post-3879-0-48170300-1587677030_thumb.jpeg

3) Fake, just a feeling

post-3879-0-18881600-1587677071_thumb.jpeg

4) real

post-3879-0-37012100-1587677100_thumb.jpeg

5) real

post-3879-0-15112700-1587677134_thumb.jpeg

6) real

• Like 1

I too think the tassel on the kai gunto is correct...the navy brown seem to be a bit more 'dark chocolate' colour than the gunzoku type sometimes seen on army gunto, which is usually the same lighter brown seen with the blue or red tassels...please correct me if I am mistaken.

Regards,

• 1 month later...

My collection has grown, a few months ago I decided to find a second general which will allow me to compare the first one too. Side by side shots will come eventually.....

post-3879-0-19643700-1591823317_thumb.jpeg

The tassel also came with this..... Anyone have any ideas? I think that is a family Mon, but don't know the purpose. post-3879-0-23960100-1591823374_thumb.jpeg

Thanks!

From the pic. The first generals tassel looks bad to me. The crowns look too loose and the red colour doesn't look right. The red in all the repro's that i have seen, tends to have a pinky red shade to them.

The red colour can vary on different genuine tassels however the colour of the repro's in incorrect compared to the genuine type they are copied from. (Pink/Red Shade is my best way to try and describe the incorrect colour)

The difference is clearly seen when laid beside an original.

Kind Regards

Doug

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here ya go John! I've long since lost the little rubber band that was binding the tassel.

Maybe you should submit your treatise to the JSSUS newsletter. They're looking for articles.

Great score Bruce, the boxes are perhaps rarer than the tassel in many ways. Thank you for the JSSUS recommendation as well, when it is near to completion I will submit it.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to side-track your topic Matt, but thought this picture was interesting.  A young woman in 1906.  I think the tassel is hanging off the end of a fan, but it's hard to tell.  Just found it interesting that tasseled cords were a thing before the military started using them.  Might even explain some strange tassels that show up on bring-home swords.

tassel1.png

tassel2.png

Interesting, hard to tell really. But it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to assume maybe some family members used the tassels as a status symbol while their fathers or husbands were fighting the war. Maybe those whos family members died fighting were able to wear them with their regular dress. It is an interesting route to go down. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..