Bored in lockdown?

Hi Ian

I was going to post a similar article

I'd received full images and sat down ready to bid on this item

The staring bid blew me out of the water!

I left the auction open and viewed the odd item but nothing else interested me

I wonder why it received such a high price?

Then add another 20% commision and there may have VAT included (that wasn't clear)

Shipping?

Grev

Dear Ian.

Bet you can hardly wait for that parcel to arrive then! 

An almost identical example appears in Masterpieces of Meiji Metalwork, a catalogue produced by Barry Davies Oriental Art in 1991.  They reference two others, one sold through Christie's from the Hartman collection and another in the Behrens collection. (I have seen one other which sold through a major auctioneer though I can't pin it down in my references at the moment). Although this auction wants the blade to belong to THE Umetada Myoju the Barry Davies catalogue says, "Myoju was a member of the Togo family, a pupil of Araki Tomei, working in the late Edo and Meiji period."  

They seem to fall into that category of work which reaches a market outside the normal sword collecting field, fabulous Meiji metalwork attracts serious money. (Of course it could all be the same one, passing from collection to collection.  Makes more sense in some ways though if this is the case then it has seen some neglect since appearing in the Barry Davies catalogue where it was in pretty much pristine condition.)

All the best.

Well, I found the other one.  Sothedy's, 31st March 1993, Lot 240.  It is a different sword to the example above, same hand made the koshirae but the blade has a dragon horimono, no gold inlay,  and is signed, Umetada Hikojiro koku do saku.  I don't have the prices realised for this sale but the pre sale estimate was £35,00 to £40,000.  Almost makes this one look like a bargain.

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..