Fun Topic: The Unusual: Blades, etc.

Hi All,

The Unusual.

Please post any item you feel is unusual. 

From a blade designed to cut the stem of a flower, or a blade designed for woodblocks, etc.

Mountings, like a tsuba that is unusually large, etc. 

A Fun topic for these difficult times. 

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 2

I remember asking in the previous thread if your sword has a high shinogi (a fairly large difference in thickness between shinogi and mune)? That is one fairly easy explanation for the placement in my mind. Although I do think that the placement in yours is not aesthetically the most pleasing. Here is a large suriage Motomitsu blade for reference as it has the hi at the shinogi.

post-381-0-11290300-1587510264_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Greg you did say blades not swords, and you did mention flowers. So here is my contribution. I think hand forged, crazy sharp, and carbon steel that rusts quickly if not oiled. 

I own the same pair of scissors, ridiculously sharp.

regards,

• Like 1

Shared this before but have this guy with an unusual bohi placement. Sue Tegai early muromachi blade in tachi mounts. Got some character.

Hit me but this is a fascinating eyecatcher! If anyone doesn't like it - i love it! Thanks for showing this sword.

post-457-0-63290300-1587651551_thumb.jpg

Description below:

Purchased at auction from Bonham's auction house, 4 April 2007, Lot 26. Previously in the private collection of Clement Millward since at least 1940.

Physical Description

The blade is thought to be from a European hanger, single edged, slightly curved and broad, with a broad fuller at the back and a narrow one at the forte. The blade has a stamped inscription in the broad fuller on both sides; several of the letters are now rubbed almost out of existence and can no longer be made out but those that can are arranged 'F/P??? KEISSER ANNO' on one side and on the other 'ME FECIT SOLINGEN 16??'. The edge has been cut down to form a hira zukuri blade (almost flat on both sides without obvious pronounced ridges), and it has been tempered with a gunome hamon (a pattern visible along the cutting edge which presents as a series of faint waves or semi-crcles of regular size). There is a silver foil covered habaki (collar around the base of the blade). The blade is stamped with a mark resembling a sceptre in an oval on the tang.

The hilt and scabbard metalwork fittings are of heavy gilt metal carved with the Matsuura mon of three stars (represented by three solid circles) in relief on an ishime (roughened texture like the surface of a stone) ground. The hilt is bound with white braid interwoven over brocade.

The scabbard is covered with gilded and painted leather of the type that was popular in contemporary Europe for covering walls and furniture, with a raised texture that was particularly associated with Dutch leathers (goudleer). The leather is tooled and gilt with green and red, and decorated with the same Matsuura mon present on the metalwork fittings of the hilt and scabbard. At the chape is an eyelet with a brown leather loop. The kozuka (small supplementary knife usually mounted on the inside of a saya (scabbard); kozuka refers to the hilt, whereas the blade of the knife is called kogatana) is a namban (foreign) style hilt, with a gold frame enclosing a fretted iron panel decorated with shishi (mythical beasts resembling a cross between a lion and a dog) on a ground of scrolling foliage. The blade is signed 'Kane-' and 'kao'.

The dagger has an associated bag of green Chinese brocade with dragons and clouds in red and yellow.

The blade has a stamped inscription in the broad fuller on both sides; several of the letters are now rubbed almost out of existence and can no longer be made out but those that can are arranged 'F/P??? KEISSER ANNO' on one side and on the other 'ME FECIT SOLINGEN 16??' Stamped with a mark resembling a sceptre in an oval on the tang.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

That one certainly qualifies. A Western blade repurposed by the Japanese? And they managed to re-harden it and add a hamon. I like it. Must have been quite unique.

It is a cracker, and if you are ever in the UK, well worth a look.... As is the rest of the Japanese collection in the Leeds RA.

• Like 1

Along the lines of Adam's blade, is a similar one to his. Ok, I am a Gunto guy, but this is a Koto blade in Gunto mounts. The bohi goes about two thirds down the blade, and one side only. It was in leather combat cover (since gone) but has retained the wood kurigata and a leather suspension ring fixture. 

Due to the fact that the bohi is only on one side, and not the usual full length, I wondered if it was put there by the sword Smith to hide a fault? 

post-3858-0-71195600-1590555215_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-70042200-1590555228_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-62899700-1590555241_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-01510700-1590555258_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Along the lines of Adam's blade, is a similar one to his. Ok, I am a Gunto guy, but this is a Koto blade in Gunto mounts. The bohi goes about two thirds down the blade, and one side only. It was in leather combat cover (since gone) but has retained the wood kurigata and a leather suspension ring fixture.

Due to the fact that the bohi is only on one side, and not the usual full length, I wondered if it was put there by the sword Smith to hide a fault?

What an interesting blade. That also belongs in another forum post in military called short guntos. I feel like that blade deserves a name like "Dragons fang".

I stumbled on this piece a couple of weeks back, not solely the Smith was of particular interest to me, but I did not know about the so called Hoko yari at all. The site also mentioned the wiki page which is short but has some extra information.

The sugata is also quite unique, I hope it fits the topic subject.

https://www.e-sword.jp/yari/2010-4023.htm

post-2850-0-93229300-1590953116_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..