Did it Have Rim or Not

Krystian

Hello, 

I am posting this after very heated discussion on facebook. Mostly about esthetics of this tsuba but Mike Yamaski made some great points I would like to study a bit more. 

I thought that the rim was removed and than this tsuba was placed on a stand. He pointed out that it might not be a case at all. So:

1. Did It have rim and It was removed, or It never had a rim in the first place?

2. Have you seen more tsuba that originally did not have a rim? 

3. And if so have you ever seen them mounted on a sword?

I will try to go through my books tonight but all information would be appreciated. 

Regards, 

Krystian  

post-4067-0-78171100-1587154317_thumb.jpg

post-4067-0-75942400-1587154325_thumb.jpg

post-4067-0-20173600-1587154339_thumb.jpg

post-4067-0-74241000-1587154398_thumb.jpg

post-4067-0-19748700-1587154406_thumb.jpg

post-4067-0-68495800-1587154414_thumb.jpg

post-4067-0-95448500-1587154423_thumb.jpg

post-4067-0-71006100-1587154433_thumb.jpg

post-4067-0-39069300-1587154441_thumb.jpg

I think that only someone who has never worn a sword would think that this could be used without a rim....

Without a rim, there would be too many places where it could catch on clothing (etc.) when being worn, drawn or used.  It appears that some of the tail feathers may have been filed narrow as if to fit a furukin or after being cut from the rim.  As for the metal going into the stand being too small as you said, couldn't it have been filed down like Orikaeshi-Mei (before or after it was bent down)?

• Like 3

I believe the original rim was sawn with a jewelers saw all around the upper periphery with the portion the legs are on left intact. The sawn area was then bifurcated and bent downward to form the stand. That is evident by the cracking at the 90 degree junction. Where it was sawn you can also see file marks that clean up the sawn areas. Also there is a hint of some masame like lines at the bent area. It makes an interesting display piece. Personally I would rather have it in it's original configuration.

• Like 1

Wow..the FB post got a little "heated" :-?
You have posted far better pics here, so I can see why some there have the opinions they do. Personally I think it did have a rim for the reasons above. And all the contact points where it would have met a mimi show signs of work and filing.
But the rim doesn't meet the work 100%. Close though....

87154325.jpg

• Like 1

Facebook cuts almost all of the pictures quality. That is why I put a link to a website where there are many high quality pictures. There is also a zoom option there so you can see everything even better.... 

I truly want to show how an item looks like. That is why a white background, lots of light and quality equipment. Tsuba will always look better in real life than on those pictures but at least you can see everything there is to see.. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..