LOOKING FOR A TYPICAL BAKUMATSU ERA SWORD

Gilles

Dear all,

I am looking for a Japanese sword in good condition (with its original dimensions, thus not over polished) from the Bakumatsu period along with its original koshirae. I need a textbook example, that is to say that the nakago must be quite long (well over 20 cm) and the nagasa must be over 75 cm. The sword must be signed and dated between 1854 and 1864. I am not looking for a specific or well known swordsmith, just an average to good one. The sword I am looking for must have been made for real combat. Usually, those swords are found with a shallow sori can be quite heavy and rather clumsy to yield, nevertheless, some are quite elegant (both type welcomed).

If you have one for sale, please contact me by PM.

• Like 2

This sword is no longer available and does not have koshirae, but just sharing as a reference for others here of this type of sword. It is of the so-called kinnoto type, swords made for use by the pro-imperial loyalists. Generally 75" cm, thick kasane and shallow sori with a long nakago.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/31400-long-yokoyama-sukeyoshi-katana/

• Like 2

This has been an interesting thread. Thank you NMB!. I have always been interested in the rather large number of swords that were produced - and presumably demanded- by conditions of the terminal Edo/early Meiji era. I've even - well - acquired some but I have never seen any that retained their original koshirae. Assessing these swords as weapons that were made for bold patriots (or foolish tradtionalist) is pretty interesting. I wish I know more about how such swords would have been ordered and created.

Again, - good thread.

Peter

• Like 1

Thank you Ray, this is quite a good example.

Dear Peter, I strive to know more about those swords which were made not a so long time ago. Information are scant......

I will support Peter, an interesting and little-lit subject of swords of the indicated period and in the continuation of what Gilles said, does it make sense to raise this topic in the appropriate section, the author of which may be Gilles !! ?? (this offer cannot be refused)  :)   , everyone will have something to share

Dear Ray,

Thank you for the links. Those two swords are nice but over my budget. I may have spotted a couple of such swords more in line to what I am looking for. But I have to wait the end of the confinment to see them in hand.....

Dear Alexsandr,

That would be a good topic. Give me some time in order to gather more info.

• Like 1

Okay, Gilles, let's see if this is worth looking at.

Today I got out a "daito" (exactly 2 shaku!) by Shinkei TANIMITSU dated February Keio 4 in what has to be the original  koshirae. This isn't the sword you said you were looking for - but what a sword it is!

Okay, Gilles, let's see if this is worth looking at.Today I got out a "daito" (exactly 2 shaku!) by Shinkei TANIMITSU dated February Keio 4 in what has to be the original  koshirae. This isn't the sword you said you were looking for - but what a sword it is!

Peter

post-338-0-61489200-1587948564_thumb.jpg

post-338-0-10271200-1587948623_thumb.jpg

I may have a few swords that fits this description. While some of the earlier swords were indeed quite expensive, the last one referenced was about 6400USD unless I’m mistaken. Given that, I’m wondering what you are thinking of price range wise for a zaimei 75cm sword in original koshirae?

EDIT: I realize I mistakenly thought JP was the OP, I apologize for the confusion.

Doug

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..