Flaws on a wakizashi

masondj

The older a sword is, the more likely it will have flaws. As Mike says, on blades from muromachi or earlier the flaws are more acceptable. I know of an ubu Ko-Naminohira (Heian Period)with no temper in the boshi that the NBTHK had no trouble giving a paper. The NTHK will not paper these types of blades though. 

Flaws within the hamon certainly detract visually and value wise, and in terms of restoration you would have to learn to live with them. Above the hamon flaws sometimes can be tightened up by the polisher, and sometimes they'll open up under polishing. Once again, it's best to understand the NBTHK standards for papering and how they would apply to the sword in question. In that way you can at least make somewhat of an informed decision, evaluation. 

Here you go Ken, I came across it on ebay when I was doing research on Mihara group from Muromachi period. You can check out other photos here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAYAGAKI-Attested-Japanese-Antique-Wakizashi-Sword-Samurai-Katana-Nihonto/254558920128?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144 

It was sold just a few days ago for $890.

Mason, how about posting shots of the sugata, with a completely-bare blade?

post-5195-0-27043100-1586744888_thumb.png

That's a major one for me too, Franco pointed out as well.

But polishing could potentially hide a few more flaws.

This is the only one that bothers me, but as everyone above says, its all in the context of how much you paid for the sword, and what you expected out of the transaction. 

Indeed

Flaws within the hamon certainly detract visually and value wise, and in terms of restoration you would have to learn to live with them. Above the hamon flaws sometimes can be tightened up by the polisher, and sometimes they'll open up under polishing. Once again, it's best to understand the NBTHK standards for papering and how they would apply to the sword in question. In that way you can at least make somewhat of an informed decision, evaluation. 

It's stated ubu on the sayagaki :o

It looks ubu to me. I can't see any evidence of shortening - there's only one mekugi ana and if you look at the close-up of the nakago there's room for a habaki between the sabi giwa and the machi but nothing more, so not machi okuri. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..