Small display cases.

Spartancrest

I often receive my tsuba purchases without a storage box. This may offend the purists but I refuse to spend more money than the guard is worth on what can be expensive kiri boxes and they dont exactly lend themselves to good display. I came across some clear jewellery cases that are both protective and inexpensive as well as designed for displaying both sides of an object. At first I thought the tsuba metal would 'sweat' being sealed up, but actually the cling film stops any moisture or dust getting in and I have seen no damage at all in four or five years. Various sizes and colours are available but unfortunately some of my really large guards don't fit. I send a link, but check out other related sites because I am not advertsing for any particular manufacturer. I realize this topic has been touched on before but perhaps some newer members are not aware.

Also include some standard display boards I made myself. The odd shaped one is based on a Chinese gong shaped tsuba I wish I had (It's a bit too pale for my taste but my wife said she wouldn't let me put up another dark piece of wood!).

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clear-Jewelry-Suspended-Coins-Floating-Display-Case-Stand-Holder-Box-Easy-Use/352092267124?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

post-3736-0-02479600-1586654445_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-29953600-1586654465_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-93792000-1586654511_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-98527400-1586654534_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-24616800-1586655344_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ken Goldstein

Well I actually prefer brass brads or pins so they don't scratch the iron - driven in at an angle- but I ran out of the nice soft pins I prefer and the gong board uses the smallest  straight cup hooks I could find, brass coated steel. Only part of my collection, about half in kiri boxes and perhaps 10 in the display frames. The taller display cases are good for kozuka (小柄) or kogai (笄) display as well.

Peter & Darrel

Would super glue be safer or even wood glue, or would that be an infringement on tradition ? :dunno:  - has anyone got some really old boxes where the (中心 or 忠) nakago rest is held by some other means?  [ Darrel you mixed the 'g' and 'k' around ] This could be a whole new thread. I have usually had good luck with shipped guards being packaged seperate to the box, from Japan, except once where the rest had come off and as you say the pins were exposed, lucky the guard was already in poor condition anyway [if you call that luck] Everyone should follow the experts advice [and don't include me in that list] and not ship their guards in the box [kiribako].

new boxes can be seen : https://www.ryujinswords.com/kiribako-boxes

and from the same firm check out the reproduction tsuba : https://www.ryujinswords.com/search/products?keywords=tsuba

Not an advocate!  :steamed:

• Like 1

Peter- you can easily pull out the nagako piece and replace the pins with small screws.

Somewhere, maybe on NMB, I read where a collector replaced the steel pins with small diameter bamboo rods glued in place...

BaZZa.

• Like 2

Somewhere, maybe on NMB, I read where a collector replaced the steel pins with small diameter bamboo rods glued in place...

BaZZa.

I do this regularly.

I remove one of the nails and use the other to keep the wood peg in position while I dill a hole trough the base plate and the peg itself using a hand drill. I adjust the length of the drilling tip (3 mm diameter) to avoid drilling trough the canvas on the peg. The using a bamboo tooth pick as a new peg. I glue it into the peg and use it to keep the peg in position while i  drill the second hole (after removing the second nail). 

I then fix the peg in position with two little drops of vynil glue in the holes of the base plate. I then cut the excess length of tooh picks protruding from the base palate back. If necessary I replace the paper on the plate back with new one...

Luca

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here in Tasmania the OP shops are reopening,[no covid cases in over three weeks] and I came across a little trinket for $1 that I thought may be usefull - I think it was a mobile phone holder but works very well to hold one guard. The purists can please relax, the guard is a casting (not too bad) and no racial stereotyping is intended - 

post-3736-0-42813400-1591846037_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't been for a look for a while but I notice there are larger sizes available now, as well as a new 'Diamond' shape [really octagon or if you are pedantic 'hexadecagon' because the corners are trimmed] 130mm x 130mm which should fit even some of the largest tsuba. There is also a 180mm x 180mm for the really oversized [or two or three small]

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clear-Jewelry-Suspended-Coins-Floating-Display-Case-Stand-Holder-Box-PRETTY/263924532053?var=563374971359&hash=item3d7320c355:g:AIEAAOSwQqJbk3R5

please note this site may be out of stock on some sizes but you should be able to get to other similar sites from there.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Diamond+Clear+Jewelry+Suspended+Coins+Floating+Display+Case&_sacat=0

s-l500.jpgs-l500.jpg

• Like 1

For the bigger collections, I came across a long term storage cabinet [i believe they are a Canadian firm] and the price is rather reasonable.

https://www.hathwaystore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=190411 

Please don't rush the site I need time to get an order in before they are all gone!  :( 

• Like 1

Can’t find the thread, but those were discussed on the NMB before. I bought one in Japan directly from the maker, and found the quality rather low, the worst being the cheap cloth they glued unevenly into the compartments, and that is way too rough for tsuba, especially soft metal ones.  :(

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..