last ditch naval rinji?

hobnails

• 2 weeks later...

Neil,

Your last example makes me wonder about the ones that aren't black. I'm wondering if we are seeing last-ditch Army Rinji-seishiki along with the Navy ones posted? Nick's document dictated that the saya be "black lacquered" for Navy. On the otherhand, we already know that the military specs weren't always followed to the letter. And his comment that at the end, all that was required was that they "stab or shoot".

Just wondering.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

A little-known fact is that the Imperial Japanese Navy planned on acquiring 300,000 swords over a period of six months starting in April 1945.  This comes to about 50,000 swords per month.  In my opinion, a plan of this scale was simply impossible to achieve.  Could the swords mentioned in this thread be the attempt at achieving this production goal?

1945-jms-n174-f107-copy.jpg

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Kiipu said:

A little-known fact is that the Imperial Japanese Navy planned on acquiring 300,000 swords over a period of six months starting in April 1945.  This comes to about 50,000 swords per month.  In my opinion, a plan of this scale was simply impossible to achieve.  Could the swords mentioned in this thread be the attempt at achieving this production goal?

Thomas

Can you point out where this info came from? Do you have the full sheet?

Thanks

It is coming from microfilm that I purchased back in the summer of 1988.  I am fairly confident that I have the Japanese language version somewhere, I know how you love those characters, and will see about finding it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Another one. There seem to be a fair few of that style of sword. Some are signed, others like mine, just have the painted numbers. Sadly mine lost all the black paint. I know Stegel's sword has it all intact though and most of the other examples I've seen have the black paint remaining.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...