Unique gunto

Hey guys,

I was browsing eBay the other day and saw this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilots-WWII-Japanese-Army-Officers-Samurai-SWORD-Antique-blade-WW2-Gunto-94/223969488735?hash=item34259f2f5f:g:~ckAAOSw6Qxei3DF

This is definitely something out of the norm. Its out of my price range, but is something like this legitimate? Its definitely very eye-catching.

~Chris

thanks.  I am convinced it was made that way. when i first saw it i thought someone had cut a saya and put a blade in but when i look closely everything fits just right, i included a picture of the blade and habaki fitting in the saya it is perfect and the wood liner looks proper and right age. The seppa all match and the push button release is just the right length. I can't see how anyone could retrofit it and do it that well.  The blade seems a bit tarted up but i am sure that was done for the officer, the writing on the blade are decent, the bonji and whatever that tear shaped thing is ( i have no idea) seem poorly done, but it was not added post war. I bought it from an antique dealer who bought it in the 70s-80s and didn't know anything about swords so it has not been messed with since the war. anyway i figure it is sort of unique so i hope it finds a good home

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..