Help with mei on katana

acoyauh

Hello,

I saw this sword on sale, and I'm not sure of the seller's trustiness. If possible, can anyone identify this mei?

Thank you!

(sorry, this is the only mei ing I have, I hope it is good enough)

post-4183-0-21645900-1586456849_thumb.png

That is from the eBay seller Komonjo, and while I have bought from him in the past, you should be wary. eBay is a serious case of caveat emptor and while he sells some nice things, some of his stuff is also very spurious. I would not trust these 'bare blade' gendaito. A blade without a habaki in that shape is very suspicious; especially if it claims to be gendaito.

Yes, I've bought from Komonjo before, too, koshirae mostly, with no problems. But their constant supply of gendaito blades seems odd to me, as do some of the blades themselves. I look for a low cost blade for actual use, but don't want to end up with some China junk. This one does not look as suspiciously new as most of the others, so I thought I'd try to check the mei, at least.

Any idea on the author here?

Yes, I've bought from Komonjo before, too, koshirae mostly, with no problems. But their constant supply of gendaito blades seems odd to me, as do some of the blades themselves. I look for a low cost blade for actual use, but don't want to end up with some China junk. This one does not look as suspiciously new as most of the others, so I thought I'd try to check the mei, at least.

Any idea on the author here?

once you know you’re not buying a Gendaito (though probably a iaito), then I can vouch they’re not Chinese junk. In terms of sharpness and execution, these blades, though not legit, are vastly superior to all the Chinese copies I’ve used and owned. So if you plan to get one for real use (try avoiding people, the law strangely frowns at that...), then you can go blindly.

I have purchased from him in the past. He has had numerous genuine antique pieces of varying quality and many unmounted modern blades which all seem to have been fabricated by the same maker with spurious signatures and newly rusted nakagos. They do seem to be decent quality though.

I appreciate your opinions, thank you! Yes, they do seem well made, which is why I'm considering them, even knowing they're most likely not nihonto - I can practice with a clear conscience :)

Still, I'd like to know if that mei means anything. Most of his blades do have known modern tosho mei... spurious or else...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..