Sign in to follow this  
Blazeaglory

Good deal? Koto Wakizashi for 799$

Tom, silver itself is pretty cheap, although more than iron, steel, or copper. And it's easy to work with, so I doubt it would be tremendously expensive as a habaki.

Thanks everyone!

Also last time I checked a solid silver habaki new was 400$ to 600$. Most of that going to labor I would imagine considering as Ken said silver isn't too expensive

So actually, there isn't a big difference in having one made in silver over copper, as the labor cost would basically be the same. Thanks guys. 

Tom D.

It may be that silver is harder to work with than copper or gold. I just don't know but I'm sure that if you ask someone who makes habaki for a living they would know. Same is true for habaki with foil. Silver, shakudo, gold can each be used in making a foil covered habaki. Different prices may be affected by how hard each is to work with as well as material costs.

• Like 2

I used to make a lot of jewelry as a hobby, & silver is very malleable & easy to work with, as is 18kt gold - unril they are flattened. The molecular structure changes, at that point, & they become much "stiffer."

• Like 2

Habaki, copper or silver is 36,000.yen. Gold foiled is from 50,000.yen   

the price at usagiya

Pure silver is only 36,000 yen? Or only silver foil?

• Like 1

Pure silver is only 36,000 yen? Or only silver foil?

Im not sure but in my Logic it will be pure because making a foil would increase the labour hours.

• Like 1