kutsuwa tsuba.

parfaitelumiere

I have finally been able to purchase a kutsuwa tsuba, made from genuine horse bit.

I will put a decent picture once I get it in hand, due to covid 19 there is some delay.
Happy to find it, this makes another tsuba made from original item, I hope to find a real kagami tsuba one day.
I combined several shots together to make this information picture.
I also put together on same picture some front and back.

post-4169-0-64399000-1586094587_thumb.png

post-4169-0-28914000-1586094612_thumb.png

post-4169-0-27690600-1586094654_thumb.png

post-4169-0-13954400-1586094668_thumb.png

• Like 4

Yeah I know about the tetsugendo Tsuba, it would just be perfect but price is far too high for me...I admit it would have been even better without hitsuana.
About the kutsuwa rarity, I don't know, I found almost nothing on google, and found not so much on bing, Japanese langage search helped to find good example of decorated openwork kutsuwa, I mean, good enough to be used, very good pictures are impossible to find.
Good tsuba pictures are easier to find.
I know there is another thread here, with 2 different kutsuwa tsuba, not very good pictures sadly, an a last thread showing a complete kutsuwa but very small and poor quality...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Patrice L 

Here is something that started out not being a tsuba.

I notice the nakago-ana are cut, in a counter-intuitive direction as for strength, on all the Kiri examples, I wonder why? [ is it insulting to have the blade edge pointing away from the old imperial family emblem?] The crane example would probably not work any other way.

post-3736-0-14618100-1586848213_thumb.jpg

Hi Dale,

Very interesting tsuba, the Go San no Kiri (3 5 3 petal) was not the Imperial Kamon.

Prior to the use of the 16 petal Chrysanthemum, Go Schichi no Kiri (5 7 5 petal) was the private seal of the Imperial family.

Go Schichi no Kiri is now the symbol of the Japanese Prime Minister and the Cabinet.

220px-Emblem_of_the_Prime_Minister_of_Ja

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There must be some reason why the designs all have the nakago-ana oriented the same way- the structurally weakest. For a combat weapon this makes no sense. Bruno P. s picture is an extreme example, there is not a lot of metal left to support the back edge of the blade.

post-3736-0-19807400-1595499232_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

For all those still interested in kutsuwa tsuba you may wish to see one going for auction  https://www.jauce.com/auction/l663585368

The  wisteria mitsu tomoe sukashi doesn't leave a lot of metal around the nakago-ana.

The central area looks similar to a guard from the Ashmolean  Museum.  http://jameelcentre.ashmolean.org/object/EAX.10192

image.png.1202a3f8b08b1280563a60ff17416253.png            image.png.f85a8ed763365ca5eb7aab5899539194.png

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..