Swords on Exhibit - Oiled(?)

Thanks, James! 
So, two weeks ago I was having lunch in the garden of a cathedral outside of work, and saw this restoration guy refresh and maintain a brass plaque of a poet sculpture.

He wiped it with with tissue, then heated it up with a Bensen burner or similar and then applied the Ren wax. I wondered why he used the burner but now understand that perhaps he did what you tried to achieve and remove any old wax residue. 

On 4/3/2020 at 3:40 PM, CSM101 said:

Well, in the early hours I look like a serial killer with a bad mood. Nah. There was just no sign. And another example at Kitano Tenmangu shrine with a lot of oil. Two bunkazai.

Kunitsuna and Horikawa Kunihiro.

Uwe G.

post-699-0-10135000-1585953343_thumb.jpg

post-699-0-48542400-1585953612_thumb.jpg

Th blade pictured in the bottom pic is amazing 

On 9/24/2021 at 11:07 AM, EastCoast said:

All,

This update has been a long time coming. I wanted to be able to give things time in order to provide an accurate and comprehensive review. 

1. After years of display the only thing I have had to do is give the wax a quick swipe with the microdear to enhance the shine. There has been no clumping. There have been times when the wax has ever so slightly hazed, but those were only on blades in areas without dedicated climate controlled cases. 

2. I recently removed and reapplied the wax. I do not think this was even necessary, but I was curious about how hard it would be to remove after sitting. The process I used was to wipe the blades with denatured alcohol. I then used a heat gun set to 140 to quickly pass over the blade followed by another wipe down. It removed 100% of the wax. 

3. As to protection, I had tools rust in the same area I had some of the treated blades displayed. There was absolutely no corrosion on the treated blades at all.

If I receive enough requests, I will make a video on the application and removal.

Best,

James

Absolutely please show the video.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..