Swords on Exhibit - Oiled(?)

All,

On my last trip to Japan I attended the Bizen exhibit as well as visited several temples with swords on display. It was my observation that there did not appear to be any oil on these swords.

In talking to a woman at one temple, that houses one of Oda N's sword, she mentioned they haven't moved or touched it in years. It appeared in good polish. It was in a rather ordinary display. I could not identify anything that appeared to control the climate either. How is this possible?

What the heck are they using to do this? My motives in trying to determine this is that my collection will be placed on temporary display at a university in a similar fashion.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter.

Best,

James

• Like 1

I have watched the staff preparing to display swords for exhibit at the Bizen Osafune sword museum. My sword teacher is one who is entrusted with the job. Each one is drawn from the shirasaya and examined carefully for trace oil; if found, this is wiped off expertly and thoroughly until the blade is entirely presentable. The blade is then lifted and placed gently at just the right angle onto the white cloth covered stand. The museum has a strict temperature and humidity control protocol.

In fact as a general observation, there is a strong dislike here of oil evidence on a blade, even a sheen.

(Some blades as you know can be literally weeping or dripping with the stuff, a sure call in a humid climate for moisture and rust to collect, and a sign that the owner is not aware of the possible damage.)

• Like 8

I guess it really depends on the area you live. I could literally leave my swords without oil for years without any issues. I do oil them from time to time to prevent any rust, but it’s really useless in some climate.

• Like 1

All,

Thanks for the feedback. I also use Kurabara, but cannot find that balance were no oil is visible; especially in a display setting.

Bugyotsugi - you more or less confirmed what I thought. They are displaying without oil. To Ken's point though, even at 30% humidity that is enough moisture to cause rust quite quicky. I've tested myself and seen the results.

My original thought was some form of carefully applied wax, but this too would haze over time. No oil, especially in Japan, even under controlled settings can still be very risky. In the event of a catastrophic failure of the safegaurds.

I think this is all very interesting and important information for those of us loaning our collections for special exhibits.

Best

James

• Like 1

James,

As I said, I know it is used, but does it mean I would use it? I don’t think so.

From what I get, it was first developed by or for the British Museum. I’ve seen mixed review about it. Some say it is an extraordinary product, others don’t deny it but also say it takes some practice to apply it evenly on the blade. It’s also supposedly difficult to remove.

I would consider it for a regular, European blade, but not for a Japanese one. If it is hard to remove and you have to wipe or use a solvent to remove, imagine what it could do to the polish. Plus I’m sure it would obscure details like Hada. I just mentioned it because I know it is used, but imho, keep it away from a Japanese blade. Keep to controlled environment and light oiling. Besides, blades aren’t meant to be left outside their saya.

Remember Sanjuro: "the best blades are better left in their saya". :)

• Like 1

Try it on a regular scrap of metal on which you’ve made some scratches. My greatest fear is it may go into the folds of the Hada and fill them in such a way you can’t remove it after it. It would ruin the Hada.

That is an interesting thought!

Ok, here's the plan. I'll take a scrap piece of metal and sand it with different levels of fine grain sandpaper to simulate the hada. I'll let it sit for a week then attempt to remove it using denatured alcohol or mineral spirits.

I have to order this stuff, so it may take time to gather and post the results.

If anyone else has any ideas to test this, please let me know.

I'm sure Japanese craftsmen have known about wax for centuries.  The fact that mention of its use on Japanese swords is nonexistent in sword literature and oral tradition should tell us all we need to know.  I wouldn't use it.

Grey

• Like 4

Here my experience. As i start collecting i care for my swords every 3 month, clean it and oil it with choji.

But if the collection grows it is a task to make these every 3 month!

Later i use only Japanese camelia oil (tsubaki) that is much better. But it did smell. So i mix it up with some drops of good choji.

After the years i only care ones in a year for my sword cleaning and oiling. I have no problemes. The oil is not resinified or something else.

Maybe it is the climate in the wodden Tansu but i think if i would forget it after years nothing would be happen with the swords.

It is important to make a very thin film on the sword. No drops.

Maybe it is more worse to clean it periodically. 

I think if you oil it in exhibition it must be absolute dust free! Every dust will be catched by the oil. 

• Like 5

Grey,

I'm not sure that is a valid argument. For example, choji has been proven to not properly protect againt rust. In fact, this has been known for at least a century. This is why many collectors now use high quality machine or gun oils.

Maybe tradition is the problem here? Perhaps it was just a matter of practically? Who knows?

That is what is great about science. We push the bounds of tradition by testing hypotheses and are sometimes able to then propose a theory.

Best,

James

• Like 1

How did you take that picture? There was a sign to the left that said no pictures. I got yelled at by the gaurd. LoL

Well, in the early hours I look like a serial killer with a bad mood. Nah. There was just no sign. And another example at Kitano Tenmangu shrine with a lot of oil. Two bunkazai.

Kunitsuna and Horikawa Kunihiro.

Uwe G.

post-699-0-10135000-1585953343_thumb.jpg

post-699-0-48542400-1585953612_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe I am getting my exhibits mixed up.

I can see a no picture sign in the background of the second picture you posted, but that's a different location altogether.

That is one thing that really miffed me. I can understand no flash, but reagular pictures.... really?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..