Love me some copper - new acquisitions

Surfson

First one suggests Hirata Hikozo in style but work suggests school work or later utsushi.

Second, I agree with Peter that it looks like Umetada Myoju but again, while this work appears well done, it's not as bold or well executed as Myoju, so would have to plumb for school work or later ustsushi.

Both very nice though and I'm also a fan of copper or brass tsuba.

Well done gentlemen.  The first one has NBTHK Hozon papers to Den Hirata and the second one has NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon papers to Umetada.  The tipoff on the first one would have to be the odawara fukurin I would think, and the tipoff on the second one is the distinct inlay style.  Cheers, Bob

Interesting Ken.  I am not an expert on Umetada, though I do have several.  They really vary widely from interesting and unusual iron to soft metal with wild inlays.   I have always liked the style where they do inlay that looks like brush strokes (I'm sure there is a specific name for the style).  This one has that but also has those well carved three dimensional leaves that I think you are referring to.  It just happens that I have a lot of Heianjo, having bought many from Gary Murtha in the past.  I do love their work too.

Marius, do you think that the first is not even Hirata?  Have you seen a odawara fukurin added later to tsuba that were not in the school?  In hand it doesn't appear to be clumsy, but this is an interesting thought to consider and you may well be right.  

• 1 month later...

Wow Bruno, that appears to be the same tsuba.  And somehow it found its way to Japan from there and then on to the Yahoo auction.   Funny circulation.  Brian, I will do that.  Cheers, Bob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..