Show Us Your print

nektoalex

Thank you for posting Manuel,

I had not encountered L shaped triptychs before.

I can't help but wonder if anything is missing from the top left?

Here are some more examples, also by Yoshitaki, I wonder if there was a title sheet for the play, or something that could have been redeemed at the time?

https://data.ukiyo-e.org/mfa/images/sc144978.jpg

https://ukiyo-e.org/image/mfa/sc159444

Here's an example, again by Yoshitaki, which certainly looks as though two parts are missing.

https://data.ukiyo-e.org/mfa/images/sc130989.jpg

:)

Marvellous, but imagine having to frame that!  :dunno:............... add a fourth black sheet for the night sky?

Actually my idea was to put a 4th sheet with the description of the scene, but i never went through with it 

There seem to be very few known paintings by Kanō Ōshin/Oushin.

狩野応信 (original Kanji 應信). I know he wrote a book. But there may have been two Kanō Ōshin...

Would it be fair to say he was no great shakes within the Kanō family?

PS Please ignore. It’s a long-term puzzle I have been working on.

Actually, I have a Tanto with a dedication to 「應信」and since both the smith and the artist were in Kyoto at roughly the same time, I was hoping to pin it down. There may have been two succeeding Kano artists using this art name, though. (?) or someone totally unrelated?

post-416-0-64678000-1588260268_thumb.jpeg

post-416-0-13593100-1588260363_thumb.jpeg

post-416-0-15422000-1588260384_thumb.jpeg

post-416-0-80159300-1588260414_thumb.jpeg

Follow-up

Many years ago I bought an antique at an outdoor fair, took it home, and discovered that the wrapping paper used was actually two Hiroshige ukiyoe prints stuck to several sheets of old paper backing. I tried to remove as many old sheets as possible, which I used for repairs elsewhere, but could not get the last two or three off. The prints themselves were in terrible condition but carefully I cleansed them as far as possible, following a documentary I had watched from the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

To get to the point, (apologies Malcolm), one of them was the entrance to the Yoshiwara at night. As I cleaned, figures in the murky background gradually became visible.

Found the two descriptions from these prints just now.

The right print was: 'Edo Jiman 36 Kyo Shin Yoshiwara' (Kiyo Toyokuni Hitsu Hiroshige Ga) Oban aratame with date 2/1864, Publisher: Hiranoya Shinzo, Carver: Hori Tashichi. ref N43 NDL

The left print was: 'Edo Meisho Zukai, Edo-Bashi' (Hiroshige Ga) Cherries, Mt Fuji + Edo Castle.

Thank you Pietro, much appreciated.

Here is a handpainted scene, possibly New Year's Day, judging by the Hanetsuki game played with Hagoita, and the Kadomatsu. 肉筆 Nikuhitsu.

Answer time.

Isoda Koryusai, Hobashi Koryusai, 正勝Masakatsu, first called Horyusai, painted Bijin-Ga in style of Hironobu. 18th C, active 1776-1782.

post-416-0-29591100-1588471427_thumb.jpeg

post-416-0-61088600-1588471663_thumb.jpeg

The original publisher was Ebiya Rinnosuke, and it was originally from 1847, the character depicted was  Yata Goroemon Suketake

One of the 47.

However, I suggest a later impression, because it lacks both text and the various other marks regarding the censorship of the period.

Great Image nonetheless.

Here's what it should look like:

http://www.kuniyoshiproject.com/Stories%20of%20the%20True%20Loyalty%20of%20the%20Faithful%20Samurai,%20Part%20III%20(S54.36-51).htm

Top of the list:

Inspiring!!

• Like 1

Wow, thank you both for the information, perhaps it's time to add a few others in the series. Yes, I believe it must be a newer print, it was not cheap but certainly nowhere near the prices an original command. It was one of the quaint little stores in a small arcade located underneath one of the older bridges near Tokyo station.

• Like 1

A surimono by Totoya HOKKEI, from his series “Kaizukushi”, a set of 12 shell prints issued by the Fundarika-ren  (White Lotus club) in 1821.

Interestingly, my print doesn’t include the  silver wave in the background, nor the poems written over it, probably because it is a proof print (compare with the “completed” print).

Bernard D

post-2604-0-56686600-1588674132_thumb.jpg

post-2604-0-39154100-1588674284_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Good afternoon Bernard,

What you have is a really exciting image, it looks like it may be well before the series was finally collated.

It's like having an old master drawing with Pentimenti.

You have evidence of the Artist's or  Printer's hand, and the decision making process.

Look Top right on yours:

The original title that would be within the rectangular cartouche looks like Ju Go Ban No Uchi

Whereas the final examples are altered to Ju San Ban No Uchi :

Here's another from the series when the decision had been made "Ju San Ban No Uchi".

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/jpd/item/2009615042/

00045v.jpg

It has the same excitement for me as the Wood Blocks from an Utagawa Kuniyoshi print that are in the archive of the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Extremely well found Bernard.

• Like 1

Malcolm, thank you very much. Your expertise in this field is impressive and your enthusiasm contagious, as Piers noticed.

This awabi shell surimono, said to be from the Duret collection, comes, as almost all my other Japanese objects, from my father's collection (he died in 1988). Personnally I have no merit at all, except perhaps for not letting them go. However,I had to sell some of his best pieces, like this album lot 225 sold at Christie's in 1992.

Bernard D

post-2604-0-22025100-1588682581_thumb.jpg

An oddity Malcolm??  Pray tell why??  Its a presentation same, as I'm sure everyone knows, but of more interest to a sword collector, perhaps, than a ukiyoe-kanteika??  With regard to that, I would dearly love to know what the writing says about the object depicted.

Really enjoying this thread, another but related world.

BaZZa.

Good Evening  Bazza & Piers,

I described it as an oddity, because, three years ago, I had purchased an actual presentation Same.

This to me was asatounding.

As my main area of knowledge and endeavour involves Pre - Modern European works on paper, I had, at the time, no other source of illustration.

During my research then, I only discovered another one in the volume "Sword & Same".

Thus, in my experience, which is truly limited, I in my ignorance, described it as an oddity.

I sincerely apologise for my inappropriate terminology and offending you as a result.

Mea Maxima Culpa

I shall not post further here.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..