Gunto Horimono, yes or no no?

waljamada

Wondering any opinions on this type 98 gunto with horimono. Anyone recognize the maker? In a more trained eye does the horimono appear good quality? From my research I'd say decent to good carving. General opinions, are you guys fans of horimono? I cant tell how I fully feel about them, part of me thinks dragon horimono makes them feel like a chinese mall ninja blade and part of me thinks dragons are cool. Then I'll see a blade like the one linked below and think it's really cool...again I'm torn...

https://www.samuraisword.com/nihontodisplay/CUTTING_TEST/Munehiro/index.htm

post-5202-0-05790400-1585520495_thumb.jpg

post-5202-0-34159000-1585520642_thumb.jpg

post-5202-0-57695600-1585520663_thumb.jpg

post-5202-0-03737400-1585520680_thumb.jpg

post-5202-0-29797200-1585520696_thumb.jpg

Raymond

Yeah, the quality doesnt stand out for me too. Design is simple and it doesn't seem to be unique. Almost like picking a tattoo off the wall of a tattoo shop. The blade looks ww2 era to me but can't read the mei (which also seems a meh mei) to google the smith and his quality. Perhaps a special order option as an add on at the soldiers expense or perhaps the sword maker himself has a history with horimono?

IJA, the horimono on your first sword (the more comparable one) has evidence of greater craftsmanship than the example i posted. Thanks for sharing it. Also your horimono's design has more serious weight than my example. The design carries more power in its image if that makes sense. Would the horimono on my example add more value in the market than if the blade was without it and no flaws where the carved area is?

Adam,

I know almost nothing about horimono, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I see this like any art form - you have craftsmen from one end of the spectrum to the other making swords just as any other profession. Maybe this guy wasn't the Picaso of the gunto world, but he was doing his best. The fittings are higher-end fittings (judging by the gorgeous tsuba), so the officer that bought this put some extra money into the piece. It is quite above the norm for officer gunto.

• Like 3

Mei is Kanetsugu, It almost looks like the same sword I posted some years ago and someone messed with it a bit between the time I had it and it madecits way to you:addition of an extra mekugi ana and (unless its just a lighting difference) darkened the recessed portions of the horimono? When I had it, or the one I had by same smith everything that wasn't burnished had a frosted appearance. Also if I remember correctly the wrap had some fraying so someone may have swapped tsuka and added tsuba and seppa, that would explain the extra hole.

Or its another sword by the same smith with almost exact horimono, See post below:

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/11756-help-with-gendaito-signature-request/

Regards,

Lance

I’m among those, probably scarce crowd, who don’t like any kind of horimono. I’m not too much of a fan of grooves either. Not that I wouldn’t buy one if the occasion presented itself, but I always prefer practicality over art and for me, horimono are more like a way to be showy (or hide a defect) than anything else. I like the average warrior katana, used in battle, not the katana of the posh samurai or high ranking officer who sits in the back and watches his men do the dirty work. For me horimono conjures up just that.

Aha, a "f*ckwit" mystery. Lets root out that sucker. Lance; Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth so help you god?  Adam; Do you swear... :fit:  

Just kidding fellows...seven years a lot can occur!

Dave M.

Ha, I just found it for sale and am working through my opinions on horimono while trying to see if I liked this sword enough to possibly purchase. Now I look at it differently...it might not have even been a gunto! Plus a second hole drilled to fit the gunto tsuka...and honestly I liked it more in the shape Lucas had it without the darkened lines.

• Like 1

Anything done was most likely at least 1 other person away from me before any alterations were made;   I did some "almost" literal horse trading  for a nice (but sort of naughty) horse  kogai and other fittings with a dealer/collector I was friendly with somewhere within a year of that post.  I doubt he altered anything as he wasn't a mix and match kind of person.    If it was him, he would most likely have just had new tsuka made with the old fittings after sourcing tsuba and seppa without adding a new ana.

Regards,

Lance  

• Like 2

My comment was only made as a weak attempt at humor. I obviously can't speak for everyone, or anyone but myself for that matter, but I personally don't find an adjustment or an honest attempt to bring a sword back to original configuration as long as the modification (if known) is identified when selling...

I realize neither of you had anything to do with changes made, but to see a sword show up seven years after traded in a different configuration leaves one to wonder "What the hell". People simply want to know what their buying...to many deceptive "Monkeys" out there these days.

Dave M.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..