Got Bit by a Fake 98

My foray into buying/selling is coming with the expected learning curve experiences. Bought a set of 4 gunto at an auction site (one that I like and trust, though their clientele tend to drive the prices to the top of the market).

The one that looked like, in the single photo, a civil sword remounted in combat saya - turned out to be a pure fake. GRRRRrrrrr! The Type 95, Type 8, and Type 19 are legit (I'll post the kyu on Kyu Corner soon!)

After chatting with their Customer service rep, she pointed out that the label of the items all included the words "samurai style". It's a phrase used by her staff if they don't really know if it's legit or not. She assured me I am free to request more photos on items in the future that I want more info on, and gave me a $100 credit to my account. SO, I'll take a hit on that one. Hopefully I can sell it cheap as a "Wall Hanger" and cut my loss a tad.

Interesting stamp on the nakago, though, that I'm pretty sure I've seen recently on another fake posted on the forum. Must be the same Chinese shop.

post-3487-0-02055000-1585416616_thumb.jpeg

post-3487-0-78640200-1585416631_thumb.jpeg

post-3487-0-37476500-1585416658_thumb.jpeg

post-3487-0-52458000-1585416668_thumb.jpeg

post-3487-0-88013300-1585416678_thumb.jpeg

post-3487-0-62714400-1585416691_thumb.jpeg

post-3487-0-99265700-1585416703_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

OK, I get ! The auction site representative made an acceptable credit to your account. However, I still find it a bit disturbing a reputable auction site hides a horrible Chinese fake amongst legitimate items...Questionable tactics to say the least !!

Dave M.

OK, I get ! The auction site representative made an acceptable credit to your account. However, I still find it a bit disturbing a reputable auction site hides a horrible Chinese fake amongst legitimate items...Questionable tactics to say the least !!

Dave M.

Dave,

I don't think they sell that way, though, I really don't know. I assume the items are sold by the way they were acquired. Some auctions are on commision, some are estate purchases.

• Like 1

Oh my god that tang! Did their dog play with it?

BTW, this sword is interesting because it shows one of the sure ways to know whether the blade is Japanese or Chinese(that is, if the rest isn’t obvious): the ha machi and mune machi don’t line up. They almost never do because their Habaki aren’t made the Japanese way and are cast, not folded and welded.

• Like 5

Wow Bruce, sorry to hear ya got faked. Glad you were able to get some what of a deal worked out. I cant wait to see the good ones you did get. Thanks for sharing your lesson with us. I know I'm still learning a lot, even from mistakes of others.

• Like 2

Ron, I mentioned the Type 8 and Type 19 on the Kyu Corner thread. The set also came with a Type 95 that I want to look over before posting, just haven't had the chance yet.

I have a nice Mantetsu I'm posting today in the For Sale section, and have another Mantetsu coming in the mail, a '39 Koa Isshin.

• Like 1

Yes that tang.

Day one, a bit less wanky. First day of pickling.

attachicon.gifpost-3487-0-99265700-1585416703~2.jpegattachicon.gif20200401_171432~2.jpg

PS Bruce it's a perfect it. Thanks for outstanding packing. Id never question a high end buy from you.

Just to help you avoid future embarrassment in the UK "Wank" has a very specific meaning! :) Wonky is probably the word you were looking for.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I recently wrote to Rock Island Auctions to let them know a post-war Toyokawa souvenir gunto they were selling was not a IJA military sword. Their response:

"Good Afternoon Mr. Pennington,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at Rock Island Auction Company. Our describer team has reviewed your email and have provided me with the following response.

Basic research does indicate that Toyokawa continued making non-traditional swords in the occupation era chiefly for consumption by the U.S. post exchange system. This is the "pattern" of the sword - it is not listed original. It is a Shin Gunto Pattern Japanese Sword.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Sincerely,

Alexandria NM. Andrews

Customer Service Representative | Rock Island Auction Company | website: www.rockislandauction.com

phone: 800-238-8022 | fax: 309-797-1655 | email: Aandrews@rockislandauction.com

7819 42nd Street West, Rock Island, IL 61201"

Incredible. So as long as they put "Pattern" or "Style" in the title, they think it's Ok to call it anything they want to to mislead the unsuspecting buyer.

As always "Buyer Beware".

• Like 3

Haha Bruce..

Shin Gunto Pattern Japanese Sword.  :laughing: 

In German it means: "Schienbein Gunto Muster Japan Schwert." (google translation)

Its like you describe that 

ferrari-enzo--55bb45a3052a1.jpg

Italien Sportscar Pattern Ferrari

:beer:  :beer:

• Like 6

If you see the words « style/pattern », flee. It means the object is not « genuine ».

if asking question to the Auction house, you must ask if it is a « genuine samurai sword », otherwise no guarantee.

in the same manner, you have « signed xxxxx » and « signed by xxxxx »

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Another apparent Post-war souvenir sword that just sold on eBay. It was described as a Naval sword, but doesn't appear to be a true Type 97 Kai Gunto. Note the single hanger saya, the lack of sunburst style seppas, etc. At least the buyer didn't pay $2K for it. There's another one like it up for auction (paired with a Type 98) on Invaluable, currently. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255018150256?nma=true&si=55hPC0IF5TtGkTk6J7rhWqZnewc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On 3/28/2020 at 10:31 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

The one that looked like, in the single photo, a civil sword remounted in combat saya - turned out to be a pure fake.  Hopefully I can sell it cheap as a "Wall Hanger" and cut my loss a tad.  Interesting stamp on the nakago, though, that I'm pretty sure I've seen recently on another fake posted on the forum. Must be the same Chinese shop.

The character on the tang is 和 and it is associated with swords made in China during Word War 2 and not after Word War 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Kiipu said:

The character on the tang is 和 and it is associated with swords made in China during Word War 2 and not after Word War 2.

Thanks for the additional information. The NMB crew are in detective mode and on a mission to prevent uninformed buyers from bad decisions. This is commendable!

This 和 stamp is depicted in F&G.  It does show up on a variety of Japanese style swords.  The fittings on some could have even been made in Japan.  Below is a link to one such sword.  Unfortunately, BangBangSan did not chime in or it would have really gotten interesting!

Please help with translating the writing on sword

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kiipu said:

This 和 stamp is depicted in F&G.  It does show up on a variety of Japanese style swords.  The fittings on some could have even been made in Japan.  Below is a link to one such sword.  Unfortunately, BangBangSan did not chime in or it would have really gotten interesting!

Please help with translating the writing on sword

Thomas
It is an interesting sword .I have some photos of one( 總長斉燮元獎)like the one posted on Warrelics,but not the same one. This is a reward(gift) from 汪精衛南京偽政府 Nan King Puppet government's 治安總署督辦(治安總長) Governor of law and order 斉燮元 Qi Xie Yuan. It should be gifted to one of his subordinates between 1940-1943, the blade marked 12, so I assume it was 12 of xx.

總長齊燮元獎刀-1.jpg

總長齊燮元獎刀-2.jpg

總長齊燮元獎刀-3.jpg

總長齊燮元獎刀-4.jpg

總長齊燮元獎刀-6.jpg

總長齊燮元獎刀-7.jpg

post-2218-0-82954500-1552041906.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..