Generals Tassels

Dear Gents

This Tassel was bought together with the corresponding sword by Yasutoku Kajiyama with a rare '94 pattern Koshirae

in 1967 in Japan from the General's widow from the former Boss of German Bayer Leverkusen.

Please enjoy this rare complete historical piece!

20210628_215852.jpg

20210628_215857.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kolekt-To said:

Would an IJN admiral have the standard dark brown navy tassel on their Type 97? 

Yes, as far as we all know all Navy ranks would have the standard dark brown navy tassel. John did post a brown tassel with white criss-crosses done in the general pattern that may have been for admirals, but they seem super uncommon. Maybe @PNSSHOGUNcan let you know more, as far as I know he is the tassel king. 

5 hours ago, Volker62 said:

rare complete historical piece!

Volker, great gunto!  Is that a mon on the fuchi?

Also, this one has the kabutogane we've discussed with the holes (missing pins?).  You can see something in one of the holes, which makes me wonder if the head is broken off.  Discussed on this thread: Pinned Kabutogane on Type 94

12 hours ago, Ontario_Archaeology said:

Yes, as far as we all know all Navy ranks would have the standard dark brown navy tassel. John did post a brown tassel with white criss-crosses done in the general pattern that may have been for admirals, but they seem super uncommon. Maybe @PNSSHOGUNcan let you know more, as far as I know he is the tassel king. 

My theory is these navy zig zag stitch tassels were for high ranking officers very early in the Kai Gunto production, or a special order of some kind. However just a theory, these tassels are quite rare (possibly overlooked if faded) so it has hard to draw any real conclusions without historical documents or photos of an Admiral holding a Kai Gunto with one on it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A 1918 illustration of the general officers sword knot can be seen on the right.  The characters in the illustration are reading from right to left.

刀緒 = tōcho = a sword-knot; sabre-knot.

將官同相當官 = Shōkan dō sōtō-kan = General officers and equivalent ranks (medical, etc.).

1918-frame4-cropped-copy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

John, forgive me if you've already discussed this, but what distinguishes and early style from the late?

John: And on a related question, are the different colors of the tassels meaningful or is that from age?

(Sorry for jumping in, Bruce. Still trying to learn all of this stuff).

John C.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..