attachicon.gif600x496-8-1.jpg

Field Grade:

attachicon.gif56457870_319282375449370_6605107445763145728_n.jpg

General:

attachicon.gifpost-620-0-29315000-1440073500.jpg

For all ranks in the field:

attachicon.gifHandleA.gif

John,

another very useful reference. Would you consider doing something like Stegel did where we can save this as one chart for future reference? I just have access to my IPad during the confinement or would do it myself otherwise. I think this is a truly great reference too. I’ll keep it as a screen capture though.

• Like 1

Although black and white, here is a general tassel attached to a gunto found in what looks like a magazine?

Great find O_A,  but that is not a General's tassel, it's actually the Emperor's tassel !

When i saw it, i knew i needed to update, so i spoke to Nick Komiya over at Warrelics forum and he helped out with a colour photo of it !

He's updated his thread on the Emperor's clothes with this uniform change from 1934 and it also includes details of the Emperor's Type 94 as released in the Government Gazette of the time.

I've updated the picture reference with the Emperor tassel and the Civilian tassel introduced in 1940 (also provided by Nick).

The civilian one is mistakenly assumed by most collectors to be the 'Late War' replacement for Army officers, being all brown.

I know... as once upon a time i too believed the same, but this is now another Myth, similar to the Type 3/NLF/44 pattern Gunto, that has been exposed and buried by him via the archives.

It is similar to the Navy issue, only a lighter brown as per the Army brown.

I considered doing a Kyu-preWW2 one, but changed my mind as i know little about them.

It would need some of the Kyu collectors to do one of their own, or help out.

BTW- if anyone notices any errors, please PM me so i can fix them.

post-1868-0-14334900-1586307469_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

No, I believe that is some sort of European knot.

EDIT: I'm mistaken, it's the same one I linked in my photo. There were a few different styles of this knot with different straps, here is the more commonly encountered version. https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/l591013747?conversionType=search_yac_browsing_hisotry_list

Awesome! Thanks Stegel.
I suggest redoing it with some form of watermark, so you don't find it used on eBay etc. You can always email one without watermark to those you know and trust.
Let me know if you need help replacing the one you posted. Great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, despite all the information here and in other threads about spotting fake tassels. I am still struggling. Even when I try and compare tassels side by side I struggle to spot the differences. I am pretty sure a lot of the tassels I currently have on my swords are repos. I guess it all comes with experience.

On another note.... real?

post-3879-0-97303600-1587209503_thumb.jpgpost-3879-0-52451100-1587209504_thumb.jpgpost-3879-0-05031500-1587209505_thumb.jpg

Thank-you all

Matt

• 5 months later...

That's a cool way to match them up, John!  And a good reminder for us when we see seemingly mismatched items here and there.  Dawson's comment that "Japanese army officers were fiercely independent and felt no obligation to upgrade their equipment to be "uniform" in appearance." flies is the face of some who poo poo "mismatched" gunto because we (sometimes I find myself even in this camp) are so saturated with how items should look, we immediately assume the mismatch is due to post-war piece-together work.  Of course, much or most of it IS piece-together, but this is still a good reminder to be a little more cautious before labeling something as such.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..