Generals Tassels

A question gentlemen. Being to poor to have a general or even a colonel tassel, I’ve never seen one in hand.

I see (and actually have one) repro colonel tassels. It’s, i think, rather accurate except for one (huge) detail: the red color. So I’ve been wondering if the genuine ones had started their life as red/brown and faded over the ages as orange/brown or if orange/brown had always been that color.

I’m asking because in the pictures Grev posted yesterday, we see a genuine, great condition tassel that indeed looks red/brown. First time I see one that red. Might just be the picture though.

FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE

The one I have is a strong red and accurate brown. Here’s a pic:

COLONEL TASSEL COLONEL TASSEL COLONEL TASSEL COLONEL TASSEL 

post-4745-0-25575400-1585217542_thumb.jpeg

Anyone can put a Generals Tassel on any Type 94 or 98 Gunto Koshirae.   To have a Koshirae (and sword), specific to a particular Generals Tassel,  one needs authenticated provenance.

At the end of the war, there were tassels that were unissued.  About 10yrs ago,  A Japanese seller sold a couple of these on ebay.  They were still in their original wrapper and box.

• Like 2

One day, I might get one. These are just TOO expensive.

Just the one in rough condition, the tassel on the right is one of the recent reproductions. As much as I'd like a nicer one it's hard to pull the trigger for 2K+ USD on a tassel. The next one will have to be original to a sword.

attachicon.gifpost-3926-0-91876000-1550136093.jpg

Hi David,

I have a few originals, i posted them in another thread a few years back, but include them here also.

If you're not aware, all tassels come in two grades, Standard and Deluxe as mentioned on Ohmuras Web page.

The Standard has solid colours looking straight at the flattened strap.

Deluxe has the solid colour with edges in the opposing colour, just like the very good reproduction that JP posted before.

(Apart from being brand new with strong vibrant colours, this is what may have made you say it is too red Neil?)

Different manufacturers also made these using either yellow (like yours Neil), or gold bullion thread. With age the gold tends to tarnish and go dull sometimes, i suspect this also depends on the kind of life and treatment/use the strap has been subjected to, as others are nice and bright.

The tassels themselves also come in a darker yellow/gold or a lighter yellow which is more common with the yellow thread used in the zig zag stitching.

Here's the Standard tassel, one yellow and the other dark yellow tassel fringe.Note the strap edges.

post-1868-0-54655800-1585259582_thumb.jpg post-1868-0-48754500-1585259599_thumb.jpg

Here's the Deluxe tassel, note the edges of the straps with opposing colours to them.

post-1868-0-46130300-1585259518_thumb.jpg post-1868-0-83301600-1585259540_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

They are beautiful Stegel! 

I have one blue brown tassel with the Deluxe borders and a regular one. Even the material feels slightly different. More crisp for the deluxe.

Ok, i made a picture what i mean.

Hey Chris,

you've inspired me to do this today....been meaning to do it for a while and with the virus mayhem, thought i'd finally do it.

Open to all criticism -  and suggestions to improve.

btw- thanks to all for the nice comments on my tassel !

post-1868-0-34970300-1585379858_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..