Japanese Type 19 saber w/FLAG

Julian

Count down the seconds to bruce getting a wet spot hahhahaha.

This is nice little mystery to solve on a sunday morning.

The knot is police, as the other knot for army officals has a gold or silver slider. Cant remember. And the second hanger still remains.

The flag is very very very interesting.

Ill let another member comment on the flag as im not really interested or knowledged in uniforms, medals or regimental stuff.

Ten points these are rare

• Like 2

Come one Hamish! You know I can go at least 30-40 secs! Ha!

First, let me say I don't study these much. What I see in Dawson, agree on the police tassel. Yet, the gunto is more likely a Company grade Army because of the 10-petal blossom and the blossom arrangement on the handguard. It's also likely a Type 8 because of the double belt hangers. The early 19s had 2, but they went to 1 ashi pretty quick in 19 production (according to Dawson). So, yes, there is a chance it's an early 19, but odds are in favor of it being an 8.

Dawson says he's only seen 5 of these. I roughly recall seeing 2 or three in my 6 years on this forum. So, yep, pretty rare!

Dawson says he knows of no evidence they were used in combat. He opines that they were used for parades and political marches.

If you don't get anyone knowledgable about the banner, there are lots of guys on Warrelics and Wehrmacht-Awards that are really into that stuff and could tell you about it, I'm sure.

Warrelics: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/Japanese-militaria/

Wehrmacht-Awards: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

• Like 1

So now we know JP is the regimental expert here!!! Ha!

After reading Dawson's opinion of how these were carried, but then re-looking at the condition of this banner....I wonder. The banner's condition doesn't look like something that was kept in a barracks and hauled out for parades. Kind of looks like damage of some sort, not ususally found on the parade field.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..