'Nanban' dragon with 'roman alphabet' tsuba

kyushukairu

Next up is an interesting juji mokko (cross shaped) 'nanban' tsuba.

This is a solid piece of iron at 62 x 62mm and 7mm thick and with a theme of dragons and pseudo roman characters. Presumably this tsuba was produced during the height of European trade, and when artisans first came into contract with latin-based text. Although the characters themselves are nonsensical, we can nevertheless detect the artisan's attempt to comprehend and simulate a foreign language.  There is a lot of on-going scholarly debate about the true origins of 'nanban' tsuba, and whether these were produced outside of Japan in regions such as Indochina. This tsuba however, bears several characteristics which point towards a Hirado attribution. Firstly, the use of nunome-zogan, usunikubori (sunken relief), and incorporation of pseudo-roman characters. 

*A very similar tsuba is published in Nanban Tsuba by Yoshimura Shigeta as depicted in the third image

£450

post-2783-0-93309800-1584545551_thumb.jpg

post-2783-0-76786300-1584545575_thumb.jpg

post-2783-0-99441500-1584546470_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A very interesting thread that I have expanded on in the thread:

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/31578-fascinating-informative-fb-site-on-namban-tsuba-etc/

There will be a little repetition here.

When first reading I was moved to say that Henri L. Joly's "Inscriptions on Japanese Sword Fittings" would be a good companion read.

Then I remembered that I had seen a similar tsuba to Kyle's in C.R. Boxer's "European Influence on Japanese Sword-fittings 1543 - 1853".  Both these publications appeared in "Transactions & Proceedings of the Japan Society, London ..."  Here's the tsuba:

post-671-0-60097600-1584841037_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

BaZZa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..