Short Kai Gunto Mei

dwmc

Hello,

This is what appears to be a very late war (short) Kai Gunto. It was displayed on an antique store wall for many years until I was able to purchase it recently as the store decided to close shop.

The sword is very light weight with a nagasa of 22". One hanger, and without the rising sun o-seppa.

I believe the Mei is possibly "Kiyonobu", but by no means am I certain. Please let me know if this translation is correct.

Thanks Much,

Dave M.

post-2175-0-92641000-1584204073_thumb.jpg

post-2175-0-03472200-1584204095_thumb.jpg

post-2175-0-44457000-1584204116_thumb.jpg

I think its Kiyomichi (清道). I think the sword on the site that Jussi pointed to is misidentified, and that one is also Kiyomichi.

Check out a similar signature here. 

https://japanesesword.com/archived-pages/2017/8/1/stainless-toyokawa-arsenal-kai-gunto-by-kiyomichi

I'm looking for more examples because I'd like one or two more before I close the door on this. There is an auction site that lists a Kiyomichi with the same signature

https://aucfree.com/items/q246066058

but I'd like to find a site other than an auction site.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Steve,

This was what I was having a problem with initially. The characters were a bit confusing to me, and the black paint didn't help matters.

I think you're correct though, "Kiyomichi".

Again, Thank you and Jussi also,

Dave M.

• 1 year later...
17 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

@dwmc  Does this nakago have numbers stamped at the end, probably on the other side?

Hi Bruce,

No numbers stamped on nakago. Only what can be seen in the pictures above,  Kiyomichi, anchor stamp, and what appear to be black painted numbers.

Nothing on the other side!

Dave M.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/23/2023 at 5:45 PM, Kiipu said:

A PX souvenir sword by Kiyomichi 清道

With the OP sword, late war, numbered 8224, and the souvenir numbered 2045, what is your opinion?  War sword 2045 re-purposed as a souvenir? or have we finally found a 4 digit souvenir, knowing that over 8,000 were made?

• 1 month later...

Not sure what the assembly number is on that souvenir sword.  The only way to find out would be to look at the parts.  Alas, no pictures were posted of them.

It is not unusual to see older numbers removed or two sets of numbers on the souvenirs.  I guess there would have been hundreds of swords in various states of completion when the war ended.  Then some months later production resumed for the PX contract.  One thing I am sure about is that the blades were wartime surplus and had already been inspected by the navy.  Gives some idea how many were in the pipeline.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Kiipu said:

two sets of numbers on the souvenirs

Thomas, thanks for pointing this out.  I think we are seeing a second number written over the original number.  The last 2 digits are darker and newer than the original 4 digits.  

What would you say? "57", "97", "77"?  I'm leaning toward 57.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..