What kind of katana is this? non-typical geometry

terminus

I've seen a few katanas with a non-typical geometry like this and was wondering what's their history? are there any benefits or weaknesses to this geometry shape? Is it still even considered a katana? technically it's made in Japan and over 60cm in nagasa, but it's geometry is more akin to a Chinese dao than the typical Japanese katana : 

gendaito recreation:
post-3124-0-50252000-1583710859_thumb.jpg
https://www.tsuruginoya.com/items/a00520.html

May be I am just dense, but is this not a hira zukuri daito? I have seen a few koto gassan in this shape. I do have a gendaito by yoshimune in this shape as well. Rare but not unheard of.

Hoanh

• Like 2

Yes, hira-zukuri katana. I owned one once, a rather slim example, and it did not feel very substantial. Rather like it would bend if you swung it too hard.

I understand(I'm not a sword swinger) that they make very good soft target cutters but can very easily take a bend if not handled well. There's a modern made katana in hira-zukuri, I forget the maker, that does very well in tamashigiri competitions. Apparently it's made rather thick and wide to try and prevent bends, but it still does.

A friend has a WWII gendai of this type signed TOTO JU USHOSHIN. It is by Yanagawa Ushoshin of Tokyo. I think he worked with his brother in WWII making gendaito.

He is listed as Betseki in the 1943 published gendai swordsmith rankings list on Japanese Sword Index.

Good sword...only one I've had in hand.

Regards,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..