What is this?

I think so,e are carbon inclusion as Brian said and the longish ones are ware, as Chris said. Ware are a frequent Kizu. Not very aesthetic but not serious and to be expected in a sword that has gone through ages and been polished several times.

These are slag inclusions, the smaller ones indeed called pinholes. In this case they are probably remnants of insufficient or defective fire welding in the forging process. 
When they occur in the YAKIBA as shown here in some places (HA-WARE), there is no way of fixing. A good TOGISHI can fill them with UMEGANE in case they appear in the unhardened parts of the blade (KITAE-WARE). If not well made, these UMEGANE remain visible as repair which is not an improvement in beauty. 

• Like 1

I did not buy it on eBay.

It was a local private sale. I know the guy though I can see where he go it.

It didn’t seem right so I passed. Especially the amount of money he wanted.

I know of Emura, but like a few people have stated, it didn’t look up to

the standards of someone with as popular a name.

The mei did look legit, based on several internet photos, but not the craftsmanship.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..