Militaria Fans: Tanto Made from Canon Iron?

I always like these things! Horii Toshihide indeed made quite a few blades from the steel of one of the Mikasas's gun barrel, as well as a few other smiths. I can't remember the numbers, but both katana and tanto were made, but one or the other had a production of about 1200?

During the Battle of Tsushima, during the Russo-Japanese War, one of the turrets had a few misfires, damaging one of the barrels of the 12 in. gun. After the war, either after the barrel was removed before or after preservation, it was suggested to make blades out of this in a patriotic gesture.

There were a few presentation pieces, but many were sold out their stores. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of their stores, but they functioned as our PXs do, selling private purchase gear, i.e., binoculars, watches, pistols, swords, etc. I have seen a few of the tanto and katana in their naval mounts, but there are some that appear to be in period shirasaya as well, surely a choice that could be made from the store or unless these are how they were sold.

Quality can range from mediocre to phenomenal. The steel was mixed with Tamahagane, I believe, and it is said that the steel from the damaged and deteriorated barrel could have caused quality control issues. Though most of those I have seen from Horii Toshihide are nice.

Definitely not on par all the time with, say, Minatogawa Shrine swords, but definitely a piece Id consider if I was wanting a gendaito/Kai collection! Prices have been on the up and up too, these are getting hard to find, if not harder to find than those mentioned shrine swords.

• Like 3

Blades like these are also made in Europe of steel from Leopard tank, Tirpitz ship cannon and Gepard cannon (small tank), maybe more. The resilient steel is noi ideal for knife blades, so it has to be combined with high carbon steel for good results.

It is more a nostalgic thing to use these steels for blade forging, but it is possible. Most combinations result in a nice damascus pattern.

• Like 1

Blades like these are also made in Europe of steel from Leopard tank, Tirpitz ship cannon and Gepard cannon (small tank), maybe more. The resilient steel is noi ideal for knife blades, so it has to be combined with high carbon steel for good results.

It is more a nostalgic thing to use these steels for blade forging, but it is possible. Most combinations result in a nice damascus pattern.

Jean, thank you! I agree wholeheartedly. It really was more a patriotic gesture, and as you stated, had to be forged/mixed with the right steel. I have seen those for sale as well, thinking the Tirpitz knives are neat and would like to buy one, but have my reservations. I belice it was either that or the Blucher wreck they had found a store of rotted Iron Crosses awhile back and attempted to sell. But both ships suffered tremendous casualties when sunk, so part of me wonders if it is right, but another, a good way to honor those sailors who died during the war. A smith a while back forged a blade from shrapnel found in the Ardennes, doing an excellent job.

Bruce! Thank you, I always found that one interesting! There is also a Mikasa-to katana here that is in need of polish, although there may be some pitting in the kissaki that won't fully be removed. Still, these are interesting pieces, and should be worthy of both a militaria and nihonto collection.

Lev,

it is the same with meteorite iron. This material is mostly not well suited for blade forging, however combined with good tool steel, you can produce a nice damascus steel. People find their pleasure when imagining that there is some material from outer space in their knife, although this is not visible. 

I use pre-industrial iron (made prior to 1750) from different sources in some knives and tools if this is required by the customer, and some Japanese swordsmiths do it as well.. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..