How to post antique blades in the uk?

Hello everyone,

Im hoping someone could help me with some information about posting an antique katana in the uk. I’m planing to post a blade to a friend but I’m aware there are restrictions on posting blades in the uk. Could some please let me know the best way to post a blade in the uk?

Kind regards

Luke

Not sure I understand. You’re in U.K. and want to post to U.K.? Then, it’s inland shipping, so no custom papers, so no checking so no issues.

If you want to send abroad, it’ll depend on the policies in the receiving country, so not your problem either.

No JP there are issues. A number of shipping companies either won't handle swords or won't insure antiques

Unfortunately the policies seem to change every week

I haven't shipped a sword in the UK for a while so will leave it to someone with more recent experience to advise

Hello Luke.

Box it securely, go to the post office and they will tell you it needs to go through them via parcelforce. (due to size)

When they ask you whats in the box, reply "just an antique".

If they ask an "antique what", then tell them what it is and that the blade is protected by a wooden scabbard and a few inches of bubble wrap. Ive never had a sword refused over the counter.

Send it special delivery next day, more expensive but worth it.

Wouldn't bother with a main post office, local one that looks like it could do with some profit.

Hope that helps.

Hello Alex.

Thank you for your advice. The reason I have asked is that parcelforce state that they don’t allow blades of any kind to be posted. I understand I can just not state what is in the box but if it is lost for instance I will have absolutely no cover.

Saying this I have looked up DHL restrictions and they have absolutely no mention of blades. Lots about firearms but nothing restring blades of any kind. So I’m guessing i can have it posted through them without having to deceive them about what the package contains.

The blade is of a reasonably high value so I’m not too happy taking the risk unless I have some kind of protection.

Thank you for your help anyway.

Kind regards

Luke

Hi Luke, i posted a sword last week through the post office via parcel force, i told the post office guy what was in the box. No issues, he was more concerned about batteries and aerosols. 

All depends on the post office. I was told that once accepted over the counter then it has to be delivered, dunno whether that's true or not.

Ps, wouldnt rely on postal insurance. If thats an issue, i would just drive it to its destination.

Anyways, good luck

Wonder where we will be in ten years, annoying enough as it is

post-2297-0-93114000-1582809972_thumb.jpg

Swords, knives and weapons of any kind are prohibited by Royal Mail/Parcelforce.

However, some post office staff are ignorant of their own rules and will accept a sword but I highly doubt it will be insured even if they let you pay for that.

For that reason I tell them it's something else such as a golf club or telescope and don't bother with insurance. I always wrap a sword in cling film first, then bubble wrap and then place in a heavy duty cardboard tube. Touch wood, I've never had a problem with damage even when one time, the tube had clearly taken a big hit. 

If you're not willing to risk it without insurance then all I can think of is to use Fedex but that will obviously be expensive.

Or, you could buy insurance from a third party like this company. I've not used them myself yet but their reviews are pretty good.

https://www.secursus.com

Swords, knives and weapons of any kind are prohibited by Royal Mail/Parcelforce.

Hi Ben, yes, that's what they state on the website. I wonder though, they complete deliveries from USPS etc, seems they ignore their own rules back and forth. Maybe stating "antique" opens a door, dunno.

The way I see it, if your honest about what you are shipping when you walk into a post office and they accept it and offer insurance, then I would expect that insurance to hold up should their be loss or damage. I cant say its anything I have faith in, but in a court of law, surely it would not be the customers fault.

I was talking to the guy in the post office, he said there is much disagreement between himself and the Royal mail on many issues, sounds a bit of a mess.

It's always been an inconsistent mess with Royal Mail and UK customs also.

I recently had a sword delivered from Japan and was a bit surprised there was no customs fee to pay because the tracking said that customs had it for over a week. A few days after it arrived, I got a letter from customs asking me to pay the VAT and clearance fee!  :rotfl: I'm now wondering whether to pay it or not..

In regards to insurance, I don't think it's worth buying it as I've never heard of anyone being successful making a claim with Royal Mail or USPS or DHL etc They charge a lot for insurance as well, actually it's extortionate!

That's why I think using a third party company like the one I gave a link to is the way to go in the future.

For example, they only want 6 euro to insure a £1000 item. Parcelforce will charge you 50 quid for the same thing.

• Like 1

That's a new one Ben, best think that one over. :laughing:

Luke, as mentioned, insurance might be expensive. As its in UK, wonder if one of these small private couriers would be worth a go ?

Guy with a van type, know one that picked up a motorbike from down south, dropped it back at mine up north for £160.

Just a thought, many about now doing jobs for Amazon etc

Will look into that insurance Ben, cheers for that

Problem with insurance of any kind is that you won't know how good it is until you have to make a claim.  :(

I just discussed this with my missus, she sells a lot of random stuff on ebay and used to insure the more expensive items.

Not anymore though because she said that Royal Mail made it so difficult for her to make a claim that she gave up in end. Apparently they wanted photos of the item, photos of the parcel, dimensions of the parcel, proof of the item value, receipts etc, the list went on and on...

Yes, same as dealing with customs. 

Just thinking, with a private courier its dealing with just the one person and their vehicle , not a dozen and sorting office/machinery etc. (see youtube disasters). Might be worth it for an expensive sword.

Might look into that too.

I would never give Parcel Force a sword and tell them what it is...... it’s like giving candy to a child.... I would not trust them, how many have gone missing through them? There’s no comeback on them.

I always use a third party (Parcel Monkey) or have a day out on the train.

Ian

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..