SOS Show - interesting NCO swords observation

zook

Hey folks - 

I just returned from the SOS (Show of Shows) in Louisville, Kentucky.  It's the largest Militaria show in the world and it draws a tremendous crowd of dealers and collectors from around the world.   I went to this show with the express purpose of looking for some specific items for my collection (non-Japanese), but I couldn't pass up the dealers of Japanese swords and militaria.     What struck me was the lack of NCO swords at this show.  I saw ONLY two dealers with a few NCO swords, one being Bill Rannow.   There were lots of other swords (nihonto or modern military Gunto), but I didn't invest the time (nor prepared to invest the funds) to explore those items.   I always stop and look at the NCOs because I am more comfortable with them, and it only takes a minute to determine "good sword" or "sword with issues."     The other officer Gunto require very careful examination.  There were many gunto at the show, but the total number of NCO swords I saw ….I would say no more than 12 total.   

This was my first SOS show, so I took my observation on NCOs with a grain of salt until I heard one other long time dealer and another seasoned collector share the same observation -  minimal NCO swords for sale at this particular show and they are surprised by that.    I did see one table with a nice copper NCO sword … matching serial numbers and a scabbard in SUPERB condition.  Only detractor is that someone totally cleaned the tsuka so it was very shiny, vice the nice, "chocolate-like" patina.  

I highly recommend this show and the Max show if you are in the States (or not) and can make it.    It's definitely an experience!  
Dan 

• Like 1

Dan

what day were you there?  NCO swords are good merchandise and i saw a lot purchased. I bought a couple and i don't go out of my way for them (they were under my table as i don't usually sell items i buy at a show). I know one guy bought at least a dozen.  Most were bought wednesday and thursday morning.  So depends when you were there. I didn't count but i saw at least 30-40 (and i wasn't really looking hard) but most were gone quickly.

Mark - Great point,  I am not a dealer or life member, I am only a regular member of OVMS  ...   so I couldn't access the show until Thursday at lunch (I was there Thursday afternoon and all day Friday).   So, I wondered if they changed hands during dealers hours.    

Dan

I don't think 12 NCOs at one show is a small number, besides as Mark mention, there were around 30-40 of them at the show. Just look at eBay,most of the time not over 12 of NOCs listed. And from my observation,NCO's price went down a bit, the sword list on eBay in the same condition last year will go fast, but not in the past few months, even with price markdown.

I'm not saying the interest of NCOs is lower now, maybe the market  is back to the way it should be without Chinese collectors buying a lot them nowadays .It's a good thing for collectors in the US. :)

• Like 1

post-4102-0-67873100-1582591466_thumb.jpgpost-4102-0-78701900-1582591508_thumb.jpg

Good points Trystan .... I was just comparing the NCO to a ratio of other blades (Gunto, traditional, etc...I hazard to guess, but there were many, many more non-NCO blades to look at.  Again,  a long time dealer (who arrived with me on Thursday afternoon) said he was surprised be the limited number of NCO blades this year , so I was using his comment and someone else as a benchmark.   I apologize I didn't take many pictures.  Attached are two.     I plan to go to the MAX Show in September, if any of you are going.   

• Like 1

I think NCOs always less than Type 98 GUNTO on the market.Nice NCOs are getting hard to find for sure.

attachicon.gifIMG_1940.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1950.jpg

Good points Trystan .... I was just comparing the NCO to a ratio of other blades (Gunto, traditional, etc...I hazard to guess, but there were many, many more non-NCO blades to look at.  Again,  a long time dealer (who arrived with me on Thursday afternoon) said he was surprised be the limited number of NCO blades this year , so I was using his comment and someone else as a benchmark.   I apologize I didn't take many pictures.  Attached are two.     I plan to go to the MAX Show in September, if any of you are going.   

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..