Date of saya

Dojikiri

Hi all,

I've recently acquired this tanto and am trying to date the koshirae, the saya is aogai with 3 silver bands spiralling up it. This was unfashionable in the 19th century and I was wondering how late it could date. The tanto has gold nanako fittings with large grain Daimyo-jima nanako and shakudo mon (I posted an image of the mon on the list about a month ago hoping for it to be identified).

I'm sorry about the size of the image but I don't have the tanto to hand to send a better one. I would be grateful for any help.

Alan

Although I purchased this tanto a while ago I have only just got it (don't ask) and now that I have all becomes clear, I had not seen it either so I was surprised to find that the blade had been swapped, but fairly well done and probably in Japan, If the koshirae was made for the blade it could not have been before 1700 as the tang was well rusted so looking at the koshirae in isolation now am sure it is a Momoyama work as everything fits for that period.

It can be viewed on Bonhams site which has brilliant images of it (the only thing Bonhams does well)

www.bonhams.com/auctions/25425/lot/394  the mon is still a mystery though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..