A Pretty Crude Late War Gunto.

MacTheWhopper

Hello everyone. I wanted to show some pictures of a rough shape crude and what I believe to be a later war gunto. I'd like to see what the board thinks about. I have dawson's book but the late war guntos seem to all have the wooden handles. The blade looks to be very crudely made. What do you guys think about it and are swords like these referenced in dawson's book and i just didn't see it? Any information is always appreciated.

post-5159-0-86483800-1581559402_thumb.jpg

post-5159-0-81499600-1581559529_thumb.jpg

post-5159-0-97124100-1581559562_thumb.jpg

post-5159-0-61901200-1581559741_thumb.jpg

post-5159-0-14997800-1581559827_thumb.jpg

Kenny,

My tendency with these, and we've seen a few lately, same style, is to lean toward - Chinese fake. I've never seen a "late war" officer or NCO gunto as crudely make as these. Can you post a clear picture of the blade tip?

The only legit late-war 98's I've seen come with the style I'm posting a pic of.

I could be wrong.

post-3487-0-26918000-1581561955_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello,

Not a total loss..Looks like island made for souvenir hungry troops at the end of the war....The Ito has been added recently but the rest of the bits seem to have some age to them...If you look at the metal fittings they all have the look and patina of “island brass”,same looks old as does the leather and finally the blade is terrible but shaped correctly ie kissaki ( tip of blade ).....

Regards,

Paul..

• Like 2

By every definition "Island Swords" are not Nihonto. They are WW2 militaria at best, and you should not expect an informed discussion of such here, which is fair enough....  There are other sword collectors sites.

The best of them are swords made for serving IJA officers needing a sword, but no longer on the supply line, and having them locally made by skilled but non Japanese smiths. 

The other legitimate contenders are those made for subject and collaborator troops and officers, also by local skilled smiths.

And then there are the souvenirs, made by CB's or other allied support units,(or local bazaar traders) to be sold to  follow up and other non front line troops who wanted a sure-nuff samury sword to take home.

Below this in the pecking order are post war fakes.... still being made and sold to the unwary.

Opinions are divided as to whether these categories are collectable, or worth discussing, but for better or worse this site is fairly unanimous that they are not!

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..