Admiral Togo's Soshu Masamune

PNSSHOGUN

I would be more than a little suspicious here.

a. Compton's collection is very highly regarded in Japan and there are lots of fake Compton's sayagaki or Compton's record sheets floating around. Overall, there is certain nefarious mystery that surrounds international collections and auctions in the eyes of people there, so a provenance to something like this is well regarded.

However, if the sword of this caliber somehow never made to any of Compton's publications, it probably was never in it.

b. Looks shinto. Hamon is active only in the uppermost area, featureless hada.

c. No papers.

Kirill R.

• Like 1

While it is a nice looking sword, I thibk Masamune is a stretch. It may be koto, but I agree with Kirill that the features of the blade give it a Shinto appearance. Still nice though!

I'm not sure how many swords Adm. Togo owned, with one being an Ichimonji Yoshifusa. However, judging from the koshirae, probably wasn't his anyways as this is an Army Kyu-Gunto!

• Like 1

The Japanese website military swords of Japan has an article on Admiral Togo's sword which was a blade by Yoshifusa in naval Kyu gunto mounts . What he would be doing with a army officers Kyu gunto mystifies me . It was no doubt put together at some time with the intention of deceiving someone .

Ian Brooks

• Like 4

Hamish , you are the only one who mentioned General Togo ( I assume you mean General Tojo ) . Everyone else in the discussion seemed to understand that it purported to be Admiral Togo's sword .

Please tell us more about your sword Thomas

Ian Brooks

As the thread head line said it was Togo’s sword and it was for sale. Funny.

I dont have Togo’s sword ,it was just a joke. As the head line.

The naval version that Togo would have used ,would look something like this:

post-1265-0-24140400-1582262260_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..