Kawachi Daijo/ Kuni Sada sword - opinions please

Dean1981

Dean,

The problem is you can see absolutely no detail in the blade. It looks clean and healthy but until it's polished you wont know.

Kunisada is a good name, whether they mei is correct and which Kunisada it is I don't know. The fittings have been assembled at some point, part military and part not.

If you buy it you would need to consider having it polished to get the most from it and possibly mounted in a shirasaya.

At $1500 it is not an over expensive buy but only you can decide whether it gives you what you want at a price you are comfortable with.

Dean,

The problem is you can see absolutely no detail in the blade. It looks clean and healthy but until it's polished you wont know.

Kunisada is a good name, whether they mei is correct and which Kunisada it is I don't know. The fittings have been assembled at some point, part military and part not.

If you buy it you would need to consider having it polished to get the most from it and possibly mounted in a shirasaya.

At $1500 it is not an over expensive buy but only you can decide whether it gives you what you want at a price you are comfortable with.

Thanks Paul B

If the smith is a good smith and worth getting it done I will get it polished.

Maybe someone here can say whether the mei is correct.

It’s a WW2 bring back.

Hmmm....
No hamon visible at all. So really nothing to make a decision on. It is just a generic sword.
Now you have a nakago that appears slightly short to me. What is blade length?
And a mysterious second mekugi ana even though the signature suggests not really shortened. Mounts that don't use it.
Doesn't excite me tbh.

I would agree with shinto. The nakago is well finished, but since you can't see neither hamon nor hada, you have to take into account that polishing will add a lot more to the original price. Might be worth it if not gimei and no major flaws are found. Otherwise...

As to the fittings - there is quite a variety of mixed civil/military fittings.  You can find privately owned blades that made it to the war in every combination from fully re-fitted to full civil and everything in between.  You will find some post-war mix/matching done, so it's impossible to 100% say either way.  But this one is believable as a war-time partial re-fit for a privately owned sword.

• Like 1

Dear Dean. 

This mei is unusual in that the character for sada is not the one expected.   Check out this link for information, https://nihontoantiques.com/project/name-sword-fss-795/

Apparently this smith is ranked josaku so not that great, not to be confused with other more famous Kunisada.

If it is priced in dollars then expect some extra coin getting it  to you and as it's out of polish then you are looking at several hundred to put it in order.  You don't mention the length but it looks like a wakizashi.

All in all I would take Ray's advice.

All the best.

• Like 1

2 generations working from 1624 to 1673 Kawachi Daijo Kuni Sada.Both rated smiths.Made good swords .Can not find an Oshigata to compare the signature

with !.

All This info came from my friend Bill

https://www.k-sword.com/goods.php?id=697

http://asahitoken.jp/contents/01_token/details/token-C/C005.html

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..