Possible wall gun and percussion musket

I, too, am not a collector of these things - - altho I seem to have ended up with some.  I assume that the "value" of Japanese arms is what Japanese dealers will pay for them and my understanding is that the Japanese firearms markets goes up  -  -  - and down. In the past, these trends were influenced by Japanese firearms policy. Sometimes things were loose and sometimes things were tight.The acceptability of other than matchlock systems also seems to blow hot and cold. The point being that dealers won't buy guns that they can't import. I am personally interested in the ways that Japanese gun were modernized in terminal Edo and early Meiji time.

So, "yes" your guns are good. Thanks for showing them.

Peter

• Like 1

Mr. Bugyotsuji, I looked at disassembling the percussion gun to see if I could gain some information.  I read the tutorial on disassembling these guns and it said the pins may be bamboo.  If this is true and in my case I think it may be as I cannot feel any metal in the holes along the forestock.  So, to remove them so that the barrel can be removed, are they drilled out?

The longer "wall" gun is about .46 (18 mm) caliber and the shorter is .40 (16) caliber.  The wall gun has a silver band behind the muzzle.  The other gun has a brass/gold braid around the barrel behind the muzzle.

Barry, we all place our real names to appear automatically at the foot of each post.

To remove the mekugi pins you will need something to push them out. There is a little pointed tool called a Mekugi-nuki (pin remover) that the Japanese used for swords and guns, but you can use anything that works. A toothpick for example looks good but will be too weak. If the pins were placed correctly by the previous owner, they should push out from left to right, (alignment when the gun is pointing away from you). Be prepared for anything though!

Something that Peter touched on above, you ask about 'a market', but you do not specify which country. The paradigms of the Western market place are only distantly related, if at all, to those of the Japanese equivalent. What is available and what the customer wants are in many cases quite different.

PS Did you see my reply here?

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/31026-help-with-translation/

Yes, I saw the post on the other post on Translation.  Thank you very much.  I am familiar with removing pins (metal) as I make American long rifles and muskets.  Whether someone has tried before, I have no idea, but I used a blunt (flat tipped) round tool made from a drill bit.  I got no where.  I had to make two different tools as the pin positioned closest to the breech had a smaller hole in the little flower inlay.

I am in the USA.  I don't know much about shipping guns overseas - or should I say "running" guns...

I appreciate your help.  Thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..