Oil your nakago?

Some time ago i had read that shinsakuto nakago should be oiled but im not sure what effect this oiling of the black rust will have in centuries.

Also when u wipe the first 8cm downwards some of the oil will always get on the nakago. I do this because i wont carry dirt from the habaki or loose rust over the whole blade.

When I have a sword with a nakago with active rust, I will take some ivory or horn to it in order to remove the active rust, in the same way that one might do with a tsuba.  After removing the rust to my best ability,  I will usually put a thin coat of choji oil on it.   The oil penetrates the remaining active rust and, I believe, will impede the further advancement of the rust.   I have seen a dealer in Japan rub nakago with a lightly oiled cloth as well.

• 1 year later...

I was thinking that Darcy had wrote about this a while ago. So instead of creating a new topic I thought I'd post this here after reading the monthly NBTHK magazine there was important note by Hinohara Dai after explanining the Shijo Kantei item.

At this time, I would like to talk about how to use oil on the nakago.

Looking at some Japanese sword introductory books discussing nakago maintenance, there are statements that if you use a cloth with oil to maintain the blade, the oil remaining on your fingers, will be sufficient to rub on the nakago. At the same time, some books state that too much oil on the nakago could have adverse effects.

Of course, I did not have to experiment to be sure about this. In the past, I have often seen too much oil left on a nakago which changed the rust color from an old, calm black rust to a red rust. Still, I think some oil on a nakago is a good idea. 

Even aged, rusted nakago during a national convention, or in a small convention, are handled by dozens or hundreds of people, so besides putting oil on the blade, it would be a good idea to use an oil saturated flannel cloth, and apply oil to the nakago surface. In this case, as above, not too much oil should be put on the nakago.   

In the case of gendaito, where the nakago are a new and an unrusted color, it would be a good idea after handling them to carefully use an oil cloth.  

In the past sometimes I have seen and heard that some people lend gendaito to be examined for kanteito, and after many people handle the sword, people put it away without any maintenance. Then at a later time, when the blade is examined again, many areas on the nakago which have been heavily handled can become rusty and discolored.

I wish people would pay attention to the maintenance and condition of the sword’s nakago as well as of the sword.

Explanation by Hinohara Dai 

• Like 3

On 1/20/2020 at 12:41 PM, Surfson said:

When I have a sword with a nakago with active rust, I will take some ivory or horn to it in order to remove the active rust, in the same way that one might do with a tsuba.  After removing the rust to my best ability,  I will usually put a thin coat of choji oil on it.   The oil penetrates the remaining active rust and, I believe, will impede the further advancement of the rust.   I have seen a dealer in Japan rub nakago with a lightly oiled cloth as well.

The oil will indeed stop the active rust. Simple chemistry. Active rust needs three things, water, oxygen and iron. Adding oil will starve the process of oxygen and water.  

A long time ago I heard about ‘face oil’ used on iron tsuba which I have used with some success.  I do the same for nakago each time before putting a blade away.  I give a quick wipe of my fingers across forehead and on either side of nose and gently rub on nakago.  Seems to work nicely.  People’s body chemistry varies, so your mileage may vary.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..