Komonjo for iai?

Hello,

I was not sure which category to post this under. Has anyone who purchased a komonjo “gendaito” actually used it for iaido or tameshigiri?

- Are they safe to use?

- Are they sharp or do they need to be sharpened / re-polished?

- Are the yokote cross polished or geometric?

For 2.8 shaku nagasa, the prices are reasonable (compared to production swords). But getting habaki and koshirae made is not insignificant.

Thank you in advance!

Brandon

Thank you all for the feedback. 16k, thank you for confirming real yokote. I have an iaito and was looking at options for longer shinken and the komonjo pricing is inline with higher end production shinken (which is how I was mentally categorizing these).

Again, appreciate it!

Brandon

Hey Brandon, i don't know your level of training , however at those lengths you should bare in mind the weight of the sword if you will use it for iai. I learnt the hard way training with a 1400 grams sword for 9 years , gave me all sorts of issues with tendonitis etc...my current sword weighs 1200 grams. Its a good weight for iaido and tameshigiri. Just my few thoughts

Jeremy

Brandon,

Of course, the blade came bare. I used a Japanese Iaito I had, removed the fake blade and used the koshirae for the Komonjo blade. I had very little modifications to make it fit. You might try going that road, cost less that having a new Habaki and koshirae made.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The Motohara blades are the best production swords on the market right now, in my opinion. Jason, the owner, trains in Toyama Ryu and is a great guy.

And Ken, I appreciate that you want people to be safe, but literally every time a thread like this comes up you jump in to tell the person to talk to their sensei, don’t use shinken, etc. Respectfully, sometimes your tone comes off as patronizing because you appear to assume that 1) the person isn’t studying a style in which shinken are actually required; and 2) the person isn’t experienced or smart enough to have already considered your points to begin with.

Your heart is in the right place, and I know you are an experienced martial artist, but after a dozen of these threads I hope you’ll consider this feedback. There are lots of other experienced martial artists out there, too, and sometimes they might want advice on blades and not whether or not it’s appropriate for them to buy one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..