Opinions on a sword blade and nakago

Dean1981

Morning all

Since this forum has taught me a lot about these swords I thought I would ask an important question about a sword I wish to buy.

The blade looks good in my opinion and it has very nice fittings with a nice saya in leather.

What’s your thoughts on the nakago, it looks like it might have been cleaned to reveal the makers mark.

I’ve been told the sword maker won a tournament in Japanese for sharpest sword in 1941.

What’s your thoughts, has the nakago maybe being cleaned lessened the value of this piece as I really like the hamon on it.

Thanks In advance

- D

Hi Dean, please share a photo. There is none attached to the opening post. With gendaito, it is generally most desirable to have one with the nakago in good condition (as the sword is relatively young).

Maybe it’s not been cleaned ? Some of my

Swords are a lot older and have the black and red rust on the nakago

Hizen (no) Kuni Tadaaki saku.

Can we see the entire nakago? I am not clear on whether there has been just some isolated removal of encrusted rust, which is totally fine to do in a gendaito nakago. Thick areas of corrosion should be dealt with as non-invasively as possible on any sword having that issue.

• Like 1

Hizen (no) Kuni Tadaaki saku.

Can we see the entire nakago? I am not clear on whether there has been just some isolated removal of encrusted rust, which is totally fine to do in a gendaito nakago. Thick areas of corrosion should be dealt with as non-invasively as possible on any sword having that issue.

These are all I have for the minute , what’s your thoughts on the blade and the maker. I thought the hamon was rather nice, what’s your thoughts.

I will get you more shots when I can

- D

Dean

I am not 100%  sure due to the photo's supplied  ,  but I does look like a Showato , NB- a lot of smiths in that  ww2 period  made Showa-to and Gendai-to  .

also it depends on the cost,  if reasonable and your happy with  a Shin-Gunto from ww2   then it is your choice, but again you can do better depending on the cost .

Dean

I am not 100%  sure due to the photo's supplied  ,  but I does look like a Showato , NB- a lot of smiths in that  ww2 period  made Showa-to and Gendai-to  .

also it depends on the cost,  if reasonable and your happy with  a Shin-Gunto from ww2   then it is your choice, but again you can do better depending on the cost .

Hi

Cost is £1650

Thanks

- D

Ok thanks for the opinion,

I’ll wait to see what others say also

Dean,

This is just an opinion based on the pictures provided. I may be 100% wrong. Anyway, whatever the case, even if showato, it looks like one of the better made ones, so be sure to care for it and bring it some love.

• Like 1

Dean,

This is just an opinion based on the pictures provided. I may be 100% wrong. Anyway, whatever the case, even if showato, it looks like one of the better made ones, so be sure to care for it and bring it some love.

Thanks 16 K I’ll post when I get it

Dean it seems so from the pictures but it would be better if you got pictures where you see the hamon and the hada sharp.

If it is a Gendaito 1650 GBP is a very good price. If it is a showa-to its to much. So you should ask him for better pictures.

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Dean it seems so from the pictures but it would be better if you got pictures where you see the hamon and the hada sharp.

If it is a Gendaito 1650 GBP is a very good price. If it is a showa-to its to much. So you should ask him for better pictures.

Good luck with it.

Thankyou

I will show more pics when it arrives, i was assured it was a gendaito, it also says it on the Tag

Thanks

- D

I think this one would be very hard showato vs. gendaito determination, but I would err on the side of gendaito.

It does not have stamps.

It has well formed and pronounced kaeri, most showato don't.

The hamon while in nioi and of a typical showato strictly periodic sine wave-like gunome type does show variation in brightness which is more attuned to gendaito.

So its roughly in between of the two cases.

Kirill R.

I think this one would be very hard showato vs. gendaito determination, but I would err on the side of gendaito.

It does not have stamps.

It has well formed and pronounced kaeri, most showato don't.

The hamon while in nioi and of a typical showato strictly periodic sine wave-like gunome type does show variation in brightness which is more attuned to gendaito.

So its roughly in between of the two cases.

Kirill R.

Thankyou Kiriill

I look forward to receiving it and for the forums members final thoughts.

this is being sold as a gendaito and is on the ticket description. The person selling it is a friend also.

- D

....this is being sold as a gendaito and is on the ticket description......

We have a saying in Germany that would fit here: PAPER IS PATIENT. As long as this is not a SHINSA ORIGAMI it it just an opinion of a seller.

What is indeed interesting in this blade is the rather nicely chiselled TACHI MEI which is consistent with HIZEN. On the other hand if it has no HADA it is way too expensive in my opinion. But I am not a military guy so I may be wrong.   

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..