Tenshinryu Hyoho

Her ryuha has many aspects of Katori Shinto-Ryu. The problem that I see is that her waza don't take into account the simple reality that, when you cut or stab an opponent, you can't just wave the blade around afterwards! A tsuki takes time & muscle to pull it out the body, & even a glancing cut slows down the remainder of what you're doing. So, what she's doing looks showy, but doesn't reflect the reality of battodo.

• Like 3

Her ryuha has many aspects of Katori Shinto-Ryu. The problem that I see is that her waza don't take into account the simple reality that, when you cut or stab an opponent, you can't just wave the blade around afterwards! A tsuki takes time & muscle to pull it out the body, & even a glancing cut slows down the remainder of what you're doing. So, what she's doing looks showy, but doesn't reflect the reality of battodo.

I totally agree here. Coming from a fellow toyama ryu and Nakamura ryu guy, not much battodo i can see there either. It does take skill to do what shes doing though.

Jeremy

Would you allow me to intrude here and if so I'm interested to know if the swords used here are as sharp as they would be for battle ?

Chefs and cooks cut themselves from time to time with their much smaller knives and almost never are their movements as flourishing as I see here.

I trust you can handle my comparison.

Roger D

Roger, that depends on the sensei. The vast majority of iaidoka use iaito, which are non-sharpened blades, usually of an aluminum alloy. A very few dojos use shinken, or "live" blades. I've used both for nearly 30 years, & have yet to get cut. It's rally a matter of technique, & then paying attention to what you're doing.

• Like 1

Ken ive watched a lot of their videos in the past and I completely agree that there is much skill but a little too much flashy stuff. Some of the flashy stuff used on youtube reminds me more of chinese kung-fu movie stuff than something I would imagine Samurai using.

My sensei alows only iaito at this stage but my previous sensei alowed shinken occasionally. I would never be silly enough to use Nihonto, only repro shinken if ever but it only takes a very small mistake to cause big damage.

Greg

That is one dangerous gal, you don't want to marry or do you?

I might marry her, but I wouldn't piss her off.

My wife holds the same dan as I do. It's a very polite house!

Rich, the two ryuha I train in both have the same block, with the hand on the mune. The video iaidoka is overly sloppy, however, as the hand is supposed to be completely parallel to the blade, with the index finger tucked into the bo-hi (if there is one). That keeps your hand from being cut. Once again, her very-rapid motions don't take into account that her opponent would be keeping at least some pressure to keep his/her blade from being taken off-line.

It looks more like she's doing a dance routine, rather than real battodo.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..