Sukashi Tsuba (1)

cdrcm12

Hi,

A couple of sukashi tsuba, one to follow on a separate post, looking for your guidance following my initial thoughts.

This one I’m thinking Kyo-sukashi, with image of the Musashi plain. Grass with dew drops and a horse bit (kutsawa). Needs a little work on the patination.

Tsuba dimensions:

Height 69.5mm

Width 69mm

Mimi thk 5mm

Seppa dai 5mm

If Kyo-sukashi what period?

Thanks

Colin

post-4984-0-29134100-1578777662_thumb.jpg
post-4984-0-89551600-1578777786_thumb.jpg
post-4984-0-62524600-1578778714_thumb.jpg
post-4984-0-95988200-1578779310_thumb.jpg
post-4984-0-57957300-1578779446_thumb.jpg

Hi Johnl,

Thanks for the reply.

My reason for thinking Kyo-sukashi was based on an initial google search which throw up some similar looking tsuba.

Also reading the general descriptions of Akasaka tsuba and Kyo-sukashi in Tososu Classroom V1, there seemed to be more of an alignment with Kyo-sukashi than Akasaka, lack of asymmetrical hitsu (I know not always the case). The thin sukashi elements made me think Kyo as well.

Quite new to collecting tosogu so would welcome your thoughts on the Akasaka attribution?

Many thanks again

Colin

It's quite a clean, some might say flat, piece, but the design is fresh and crisp. I'd say it's a later work. It seems to me the Akasaka group were very much influenced by fabric design ideas, particularly later work, pinning down a particular generation is probably impossible They were very popular with warriors on duty in Edo visiting from the provinces and bringing them back home was apparently something that was common. I've read a few old diary entries that describe this fashion. As a group, imo, the Akasaka were the best at sukashi design. One point I inevitably expect in an Akasaka work is the considered shape and arrangement of the negative spaces, everything has room to be properly defined and all the 'white' shapes are each interesting in their own right. That's good design!

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..