Another blade for appraisal please

Kmad

Hi

As a follow on from the sword I posted yesterday here is the other sword that came in the bundle of items

No markings at all on it and just the bare blade and scabbard.

If anything can be gleaned from the poor pictures and the poor condition blade I would love to know more

Blade length 25 inches and overall length just under 31 inches

Again your help is appreciated and if I can be of assistance with my knowledge base of Irish flintlocks please ask as I would love to pay back your sharing of knowledge

Thanks

Ken

post-4089-0-31125100-1578776601_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-32130100-1578776614_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-11251400-1578776627_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-05001300-1578776641_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-46718000-1578776654_thumb.jpeg

post-4089-0-93015700-1578776670_thumb.jpeg

Note that the sword has mitsumune which suggests, despite the bad chip, that it should be looked at very carefully by knowledgeable people, more so if it has a high shinogi.  Also, the scabbard looks like it might be VERY old with the simple, yet lovely, lacquered flowers.  Or it might be a later Edo rush job!!!  I make a guess that not all early Edo koshirae were top quality "bling" jobs...

BaZZa.

EDIT:  The vice jaw marks are a sad testimony to the very rough journey this sword has had.

Hi Steve

Yes I realize the chip is quiet deep in the hamon and for this reason I assumed it was not going to be of interest to anyone

Pity as it is quiet a hefty blade which I think may have been nice once

Koto period is I think early 1600S so a similar age to the other sword I have posted up.

But I realize age is not something you Japanese sword collectors hold close to your heart

All interesting and thanks for comments

Ken

A trained polisher should be consulted to see if the hakobore can be dealt with properly.

That hakobore is a big chunk of very-critical metal, Ken. Any force that could cause that severe a ware probably did other damage, so look very carefully for signs of hagire.

Please hit the books. If you don't know that Koto is PRE-1600, then you need to do some studying.

Thanks for the extra information.

I can’t see any more damage but I do not realy know what I am looking at to be honest.

I will look back over previous posts to see if I can decipher some of the posts.

With r3fer3nce to hitting the books I may do sometime but I am getting more of an idea as to what to purchase when they come along

Kind regards

Ken

I agree with Vajo -- BUT - having often thought about this, if the sword is "good enough" kintsugi might be an acceptable method to replace the missing metal and restore the continuity of sugata.  For an important sword I would accept such a repair, even if solid gold, like a tooth repair, if kintsugi was not possible for the filling volume.

BaZZa.

With r3fer3nce to hitting the books I may do sometime but I am getting more of an idea as to what to purchase when they come along

Ken, the whole idea is to study before you buy. That way, you get the most for your money. As an example, this blade would never have been bought by a knowledgeable collector. as there's virtually nothing you can learn from it, & it isn't reparable, even if you paid very little.

Hi Ken

I know study is important but I collect flintlock pistols not Japanese Swords.

I have had 5 Japanese swords so far in my life and have sold on two so I am not a collector just a v interested observer who loves the history of these swords.

I happened across the two swords I have up on the forum as a side purchase along with some muskets. I reckoned the deal was good and purchased the two swords if I turned down the deal or said I would come back later I knew both swords would be gone so I made the gamble. A semi educated gamble but a gamble paid off. But you are right and I will purchase an introductory text to Japanese swords. I tend to have regretted more what I did not buy over what I have bought so far I am ahead and I have a nice collection put together.

Regards

Ken

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..